These instructions are intended to help Lawrence University users move their existing Lawrence email to a personal email account using Microsoft Outlook.
NOTE: Once the Office 365 App has been downloaded on your personal device, this process can be completed from ANY computer; on or off campus. This process cannot be completed through webmail.
In the instructions, we have used Gmail as an example.
- Create a Gmail account;
- If you already have a Gmail account and wish to use it, skip to number 2. Otherwise, create a Gmail account at Gmail account.
- Set Gmail is IMAP
- Follow the instructions to enable IMAP and disable POP on your Gmail account in Gmail Support account.
Add Gmail to Outlook
NOTE: If you are using your personal device with the outlook app, skip to number 3.
- Log into a Lawrence-owned windows computer that has Outlook. You can find these computers in the ITC lab of the Library (room 214).
- Go to Start - All Programs - Microsoft Office, from the drop down click on Microsoft Office Outlook.
- After your Outlook, profile has loaded. You may have to click Next a few times.
- Open your Outlook app then Go to File - Account Settings then Account Settings (again)
- Select the Email tab and click New.
- A pop Add New Email Account window will open click Next.
- Complete the necessary fields for your Gmail information (name, personal email address and password) click Next
- If you are prompted to log back into your account with an IMAP pop up, do the following.
- Check your existing Gmail account
- Locate an email that states Review Blocked sign-in attempt. Click on the Allowing access to less secure apps. (this is to allow your Gmail account to be accessed by our LU Server)
- Allow less secure apps: ON
- Go back to your Outlook and it should refresh automatically
- Click Finished
- Back in your outlook INBOX, you should see a second mailbox with your Gmail INBOX
- To move emails from your Lawrence account to your personal account, drag and drop folders that contain emails from the Lawrence INBOX to your GMAIL account or drag and drop individual emails from the Lawrence INBOX to your personal account.
NOTE: DO NOT attempt to MOVE your entire Lawrence INBOX folder all at one time to your Gmail, move only individual emails or folders only.