These instructions are intended to help Lawrence University users move their existing Lawrence email to a personal email account using Microsoft Outlook 2013. Note YOU MUST do this from one of the ITC (library 214) Lawrence-owned-Windows computers. In the instructions, we have used Gmail as an example.
NOTE: using OWA-Webmail to move emails to Gmail will NOT work, you MUST use Microsoft Outlook 2013 from the ITC, Library 214.
NOTE: To do the following you must be ON CAMPUS, on a Lawrence-owned WINDOWS computer with Outlook 2013.
- Create a Gmail account;
- If you already have a Gmail account and wish to use it, skip to step 2. Otherwise, create a Gmail account at Gmail account.
- Set Gmail is IMAP
- Follow the instructions to enable IMAP and disable POP on you Gmail account Gmail Support account.
Add Gmail to Outlook
- Log into a Lawrence-owned windows computer that has Outlook 2013 installed. You can find these computers in the ITC lab of the Library (room 214).
- Go to Start - All Programs - Microsoft Office 2013, from the drop down click on Microsoft Office Outlook 2013.
- After your Outlook has loaded your profile. You may have to click Next a few times. Go to File - Account Settings then Account Settings (again)
- Select the Email tab and click New.
- The Add New Email Account window will open click Next.
- Complete the necessary fields for your Gmail information (name, personal email address and password) click Next
- If you are prompted to log back into your account with an IMAP pop up, do the following.
- Check your existing Gmail account
- Locate an email that states Review Blocked sign-in attempt. Click on the Allowing access to less secure apps.
- Allow less secure apps: ON
- Go back to your Outlook and it should refresh automatically
- Click Finished
- Back in your outlook INBOX, you should see a second mailbox with your Gmail INBOX
- To move emails from your Lawrence account to your personal account, drag and drop folders that contain emails from the Lawrence INBOX to your GMAIL account or drag and drop individual emails from the Lawrence INBOX to your personal account.
NOTE: DO NOT MOVE your Lawrence INBOX folder over to Gmail, move only individual emails or folders.