Welcome to LU Staff Governance!
The Staff Governance believes in creating a stronger Lawrence community where staff is an integral part of the learning process. We believe staff should have the opportunity to create and develop personal and professional connections across faculty and staff, to voice opinions about their community, and to work with administration in order to foster understanding of the needs of staff. The Committee serves as a liaison to President Carter and the additional senior leadership of the university.
Contact Us: email@example.com
We welcome all feedback, suggestions, and concerns. Questions directed toward senior leadership will be posed anonymously.
The Committee will post updates both in the LU Insider and on the Staff Facebook page. Please watch for links to staff surveys - responses will shape our meetings and help us determine productive events for the year.
Staff Governance, 2021-2022
- Blia Vang, Human Resources Manager - Human Resources
- Rebecca Brucker, Assistant Director of Prospect Research - Alumni & Development
- Committee/Staff Representative on the Financial Planning Committee (FPC)
- Ty Collins, Assistant Director - Career Center
- Committee/Staff Representative on the Lawrence Pandemic Planning Team (LPPT)
- Garrett Singer, Director of Center for Community Engagement and Social Change - Career Center
- Shannon Featherstone, Off-Campus Programs Assistant - Off-Campus Programs
- Tina Harrig, Director of Human Resources
- Mary Alma Noonan, Vice President of Finance and Administration
Our mission is to increase and enhance communication campus-wide, encouraging a sense of community and common purpose for staff. We do this by facilitating all-staff meetings on a regular basis, coordinating social events throughout the year, and providing opportunities for staff development and communication. We also aim to empower staff by acting as a liaison between staff and senior leadership and through the intake of anonymous questions; all feedback is welcome. Staff Connections co-chairs meet regularly with the Lawrence University President and Vice President of Finance and Administration.
- Schedule and develop three All-Staff Meetings per year
- Maintain the Staff Connections website
- Explore and create plans to enhance campus communication
- Respond to staff feedback
- Serve as ambassadors for promoting positive campus-wide communication
- Other initiatives as appropriate
Two co-chairs will be appointed by the Committee. Co-chairs are responsible for scheduling Committee meetings, setting the meeting agendas, and acting as liaisons between the Committee and senior leadership.
The directors of Communications and Human Resources departments will serve in an advisory role. They are responsible for providing guidance to the committee.
Membership shall consist of a minimum of eight staff members (both full-and part-time are eligible) and at least one leadership position. As much as possible, the committee will be composed of people from a variety of departments and roles.
- Committee membership is granted with the understanding that members will serve two years. A staff member may serve on the Committee for no more than two years in succession and must remain off the Committee for at least one year between appointments.
- If a staff member must leave the Committee during their appointment, they will be asked to recommend their replacement if leaving will cause membership numbers to drop below the minimum of eight members.
- Volunteers will be considered first as new members to the Committee. Volunteers will be sought by inviting staff members to indicate their interest either through a web form (located below) or email. This opportunity should be conveyed by the Committee to all Staff during the Winter term.
- Volunteers will be chosen based on desire to serve and for the purpose of department representation on the committee.
- Beyond those who volunteer, members may be invited as needed by their supervisor or the Staff Connections Committee.
The Committee shall meet a minimum once per month throughout the 12-month term. Members are responsible for planning quarterly All-Staff Meetings. Additional meetings will be scheduled as needed.
Staff Connections co-chairs meet regularly with the Lawrence University President and Vice President of Finance and Administration.