Members: A Chair, appointed by the president; Sustainability Coordinator who will serve as Vice-Chair; two faculty members representing different divisions of the University, one of which must be in a tenure-line; two staff members appointed by the President, one of whom shall be a representative from Student Life and one of whom shall be a representative from Financial Services; two student representatives appointed by LUCC; and the Director of Facility Services. If the Chair of the Sustainability Committee is a faculty member then their involvement would count as one of the two faculty members. This will be an open committee that welcomes the participation of any individual to participate and may request participation of individuals with specific expertise or significant interest on an ad hoc basis.
Purpose: To instill a culture of sustainable long-range planning throughout the University by promoting sustainability in planning, development, and operation of the campus environment and facilities. The Sustainability Steering Committee will recommend policies and practices which best reflect the university’s commitment to sustainability, help coordinate campus sustainability initiatives and promote a thriving, environmentally conscious community.
The Sustainability Steering Committee will:
1. Identify and address environmental sustainability opportunities for Lawrence University;
2. Develop procedures for periodic review and revision of environmental sustainability goals;
3. Report to the Lawrence community and external agencies on the state of environmental sustainability at Lawrence;
4. Promote student, faculty, and staff engagement in improving the environmental sustainability of Lawrence;
5. Recommend policies and practices to the Financial and Physical Planning Committee for capital projects when relevant;
6. Review proposals for the Student Sustainability Fund.