Under the leadership of President Curtis W. Tarr (1963-69), Lawrence consolidated with Milwaukee-Downer College for Women in 1964. Milwaukee-Downer’s legacy is present on Lawrence’s campus to this day with college artifacts like the sun dial on Main Hall and traditions like class colors.
Class Colors to Trivia
From the President’s Handshake and Class Colors to The Rock and the Great Midwest Trivia Contest, we have many traditions that unite Lawrentians across generations.
Lawrence University's coat of arms, motto, mascot, and school songs expresses core values and provides an invaluable link to the past.
Institute of Paper Chemistry
The Institute of Paper Chemistry, a graduate institute that trains paper chemists, was established in 1929 as a partnership between Lawrence and the local paper industry. In 1989, the Institute transferred its operations from Appleton to Atlanta, Georgia, where it currently exists as the Renewable Bioproducts Institute at Georgia Tech.