Professor of Music
Steven Jordheim was a winner of two major international performance competitions: the International Competition for Musical Performers in Geneva, Switzerland in 1983 and the Concert Artists Guild International Competition in New York in 1984. He presented his New York debut recital at Carnegie Recital Hall in 1985 and has performed as a recitalist and soloist with orchestras in Italy, China, Switzerland, France, Canada, Taiwan, and the United States. Jordheim holds degrees in music performance from Northwestern University and the University of North Dakota and has studied with Frederick Hemke and Jean-Marie Londeix.
Since joining the faculty of the Conservatory of Music at Lawrence University in 1981, Jordheim has taught courses in saxophone, chamber music, music education, and instrumental pedagogy. In 2001, Jordheim received the Lawrence University Award for Excellence in Teaching. He has been an artist-teacher of saxophone at the Xi'an Conservatory of Music in China, the International Saxophone Chamber Music Festival in Faenza, Italy, the Hsing Tien Kong Festival in Taiwan, and the National Music Camp at Interlochen, Michigan. He has served as adjudicator for the Concert Artists Guild International Competition, the North American Saxophone Alliance Classical Saxophone Performance Competition, and the Hsing Tien Kong Competition in Taiwan. Steven Jordheim's recording of David Maslanka's Song Book for alto saxophone and marimba, and Sonata for alto saxophone and piano is available on compact disc on the Albany Records label. His performance as conductor of Rodney Rogers’ Two Views for saxophone ensemble, percussion, piano, and double bass with the Lawrence University Saxophone Ensemble is available on the Albany Records label, and his performance of James Chaudoir’s Pentragrams was released on the Capstone label.
Works composed for Steven Jordheim include:
- The Valley of Fire for saxophone quartet and organ -- William Albright
- We Fall . . . We Rise for saxophone ensemble -- Javier Arau
- Duo Concertante for saxophone and piano -- Leslie Bassett
- Consilience for saxophone quartet -- Philippe Bodin
- Ballade for saxophone and chamber orchestra -- Michael Halstenson
- Trio for flute, saxophone, and piano -- Michael Halstenson
- Songbook for alto saxophone and marimba -- David Maslanka
- Light (con una luce superna) -- Joanne Metcalf
- Dialogue Symphonique for saxophone and chamber orchestra -- Lucie Robert
- The Nature of this Whirling Wheel for saxophone and piano -- Rodney Rogers
- Two Views for Saxophone Ensemble, Percussion, Piano, and Double Bass -- Rodney Rogers
- Hydra for saxophone quartet -- Kenneth Schaphorst
Jordheim’s research interests include endoscopic study of the vocal tract in standard and extended saxophone techniques.
Contact by e-mail: email@example.com