Recommended by Dr. Eddie Moore, Jr.
This list contains a selection of literature recommended by Dr. Eddie Moore, Jr. during his workshop at Lawrence University.
- Between the World and Me, by Ta-Nehisi Coates
- Birth of a White Nation: The Invention of White People and Its Relevance Today, by Jacqueline Battalora.
- Everyday White People Confront Racial and Social Injustice: 15 Stories, by Eddie Moore, Marguerite W. Penick-Parks & Ali Michael (Editors), Paul C. Gorski.(forward).
- Lies My Teacher Told Me : Everything Your American History Textbook Got Wrong, by James W. Loewen
- The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness, by Michelle Alexander
- Privilege, Power, and Difference, by Allan G. Johnson
- Sundown Towns: A Hidden Dimension of American Racism, by James W. Loewen
- Waking Up White, and Finding Myself in the Story of Race, by Debby Irving
- Whistling Vivaldi: How Stereotypes Affect Us and What We Can Do, by Claude Steele
- White Like Me: Reflections on Race from a Privileged Son, by Tim J. Wise
Select Visiting Speaker Resources
Below is a selection of displays and resources we've gathered for select speakers who have visited campus and spoke on topics of diversity. Please contact us with any suggested additions.
Lena Tenney, Kirwan Institute
Select Library Databases
African American Newspapers 1827-1988: African American history, culture, and daily life in the 19th and 20th centuries.
Bibliography of Asian Studies: Indexing of articles and book chapters, primarily in Western languages, published since 1971.
DRAM- Database of Recorded American Music: Recordings from New World, Composers Recordings, and other important labels.
Handbook of Latin American Studies: Selected and edited by the Hispanic Division of the Library of Congress.
Latin American News Digest (LAND): News coverage and analysis produced by Latin American media.
North American Women's Letters & Diaries: Approximately 150,000 pages of diaries and letters from the Colonial era to 1950.
Smithsonian Global Sound: Encyclopedia of the world's musical and aural traditions complete with sound recordings.
Women Writers Online: Full text collection of writing by women covering a period from 1400 to 1850.