John (Andy) Schwartzburg '64 benefited from participating in a study abroad program in Germany during his time at Lawrence. Fluent in German, he served as a German teacher for many years at The Lawrenceville School in New Jersey. Through a bequest, Andy wished to establish a fund at Lawrence that would help humanities students study abroad as a part of their undergraduate experience. This fund was established in 2016 and is administered by the Off-Campus Programs office. Grants of $2,000 will be given annually to students attending Lawrence-affiliated or -sponsored international off-campus study programs that are a term, semester, or academic year in length.
Eligibility & Selection Criteria
- Eligible students will have been accepted to a Lawrence-affiliated or sponsored international off-campus study program for the following academic year.
- Applicants must have a declared major in a discipline within the humanities. Eligible majors are Art History, Chinese Language & Literature, Classics, East Asian Studies, English, Ethnic Studies, French & Francophone Studies, Gender Studies, German, Global Studies, History, Linguistics, Philosophy, Religious Studies, Russian Language & Literature, Russian Studies, and Spanish.
- Applications will be reviewed and evaluated based upon need. Need will be determined based upon the student’s demonstrated need as determined by the Financial Aid office, the costs of the program in which they will be participating, and a statement submitted with the application. By submitting the application form (on the following page), the student understands that the Office of Financial Aid will access this information and that this will be used in the application review process. All applicants should demonstrate unmet financial need by completing their FAFSA information.
- All recipients of the Schwartzburg Fund for Study Abroad are required to submit a detailed and thoughtful impact statement about their experiences to the Off-Campus Programs Office upon their return. This statement will be sent to the generous donors of off-campus scholarships.
- The application deadline for 2020-2021 Schwartzburg Fund is April 27, 2020. Late applications will not be considered.