Federal Direct Loan Program
- The Federal Direct Loan program includes the Federal Direct Subsidized Loan and the Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan.
- Generally, every student who files a FAFSA is eligible to borrow a Federal Direct Loan.
- A student must be enrolled at least half-time to be eligible to receive a Federal Direct Loan.
Additional Loan Options
The Federal Direct Loan program has annual limits based on the student's year in school. The following loan options can be used to cover your remaining educational expenses.
Federal Parent PLUS Loan
- This is a non-need based loan that a parent may borrow to help the student.
- This is a fixed interest rate loan.
- This loan is under the parents' name.
Private Loan Options
- There are private loan options for students and for parents
- Utilize our private loan comparison tool to compare and select a loan that is best suited to meet your needs.
Federal Perkins Loan
Have Questions on the Federal Perkins Loan Program? Find more information here.
The Federal Perkins Loan program has been discontinued. The 2017-2018 academic year is the last year of the Perkins Loan program. Click here to read more about the end of the Federal Perkins Loan program.
Perkins Loan Overview
- Interest Rate
- 5% (fixed)
- Interest does not accrue when the student is enrolled in school at least half-time or during the 9 month grace period.
- Interest is charged when the loan is in Repayment.
- Loan Origination Fee
- Grace Period
- 9 months
- The Grace Period begins at the time of graduation or when the student is no longer enrolled at least half-time (9 or more units).
- Repayment begins after the completion of the 9-month Grace Period.
- Loan Servicer
- The loan servicer for Lawrence students is University Accounting Services (UAS). This is the company that you will make payments to when repaying your Perkins Loan.
Perkins Loan Exit Counseling
If you borrowed a Perkins Loan, you are required to complete Exit Counseling when you graduate or withdraw from Lawrence.
If you have questions about your Perkins Loan balance or making a payment, you can contact UAS Connect at 844-870-8701 or visit https://www.uasconnect.com/. You can also contact the Lawrence University Student Accounts Office at 920-832-6547.
Perkins Loan Teacher Cancellation
You qualify for cancellation (discharge) of up to 100 percent of a Federal Perkins Loan if you have served full time in a public or non-profit elementary or secondary school system as a:
- Teacher in a school serving students from low-income families; or
- Special-education teacher, including teachers of infants, toddlers, children, or youth with disabilities; or
- Teacher in the fields of mathematics, science, foreign languages, or bilingual education, or in any other field of expertise determined by a state education agency to have a shortage of qualified teachers in that state
Eligibility for teacher cancellation is based on the duties presented in an official position description, not on the position title. To receive a cancellation, you must be directly employed by the school system. There is no provision for canceling Perkins Loans for teaching in post-secondary schools.