Social and Environmental Justice Internship Fund
LU is creating new opportunities to explore social justice, environmental activism, and anti-racist work in Milwaukee/Appleton, WI this summer and we want you to come along.
Intrigued? Want to know more? Keep reading!
Due to generous donor funding, the Career Center will fund eight student interns this summer who are completing social/environmental justice and anti-racist work in Milwaukee/Appleton. Milwaukee/Appleton, like the rest of the world has continued to struggle with issues of institutional and systematic racism, and our work is important in continuing this fight!
Selected interns will become part of an academic/career cohort that will be guided by Jason Brozak Stephen Edward Scarff Professor of International Affairs and Associate Professor of Government. As part of the cohort, students will dive into social justice readings at the end of spring term, meet with the cohort leaders and fellow students once per week during Summer 2021, and reconvene in Fall for a poster session to highlight their work when back on campus. Each student will receive academic credit and up to a $5000 stipend to support their work throughout the summer.
WAIT! This sounds awesome...so what do I do?
- Internships must last at least eight weeks (ideally June 21 - August 15), and involve at least 30-40 hours per week. Some level of substantive work must be done including researching and finding funding resources for the organization, developing promotional material, co-organizing an event, community organizing, etc.)
- All majors and any student who plans to return to Lawrence in the Fall.
- If you already have an internship doing social/environmental justice and anti-racist work in Milwaukee over the summer, apply for experiential funding, (select Summer 2021 Milwaukee Social and Environmental Justice Cohort).
- If you don't already have an internship, please see the Internship Possibilities section below for ideas of where to apply.
- Internships must last at least eight weeks (ideally June 21 – August 15), and involve at least 30-40 hours per week. Some level of substantive work must be done including researching and finding funding resources for the organization, developing promotional material, co-organizing an event, community organizing, etc.)
- Once you have secured an internship, apply for Experiential Learning Funding here by May 16.
- Funding will be awarded based on scope of projects, need, and proven commitment to taking part in all aspects of the cohort. Students will be notified by May 19 by 5 pm if they have received funding.
- Once selected, a cohort meeting will take place to introduce next steps and discuss housing possibilities.
I need help!
Check frequently for new or expiring opportunities!
Apply through the link below, and/or contact employer/alumni for more information:
- Bay Bridge Milwaukee, racial justice and intersecting social justice issues in Whitefish Bay and surrounding areas, including Milwaukee. Read the Internship Description. Contact Sarah Gettel ’14 for more information: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Milwaukee Riverkeeper, Communications Coordinator, Send Resume and Cover Letter to Anne Michalski: email@example.com
- Milwaukee Justice Center, compete volunteer form here
- Pathfinders MKE, Apply here and contact Lauren Domski: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Walker's Point Youth & Family Center (Teen Crisis & Runaway Program), Apply here and contact Tonya Lyons: email@example.com
Apply through Handshake:
- Center for Urban Teaching, Summer School Teacher, Apply here. DEADLINE 4/3O
- Victory Gardens Initiative, Youth Education Internship, Apply here. DEADLINE 4/19
Posted in Viking Connect (Alumni Connections):
- Pillars, Appleton JOB DESCRIPTIONS COMING (placements may be considered even though in Appleton)
- Urban Ecology Center, Summer Intern, Community Programs, Apply here and contact Beth Heller ’94: bheller@UrbanEcologyCenter.org
- If you are interested in any of these other organization, contact Mandy Netzel, Employer & Alumni Relations at Amanda.firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please include the organization you are interested in, your class year, major, and area of interest in serving: