AUDITIONS FOR PLACEMENT IN JAZZ BIG BANDS AND JAZZ SMALL GROUPS Fall 2020
In light of ongoing concerns about in-person contact this fall, all students will be asked to submit video auditions regardless of their intention to participate in in-person ensembles or remotely.
See jazz audition requirements below for your instrument. Feel free to use online backing tracks, and record your audition with your phone or any software you wish to use (high quality recording not required) Label your file as follows: "Instrument - Your Name". Video recordings are preferred, though audio recordings will also be accepted.
Upload your recordings here: https://video.lawrence.edu/Dropbox/jazz2020
Label your file as follows: "Instrument - Your Name"
Audition recordings are due by Monday, Sept. 7th. and audition results (combos and big bands) will be emailed to all students by Wednesday, September 16th. Please contact the faculty member for your instrument (listed in the audition requirements link) with any questions
There will be a welcome/ informational Zoom meeting for all jazz students and faculty on Monday, September 14th at 5:00 pm (link will be emailed to you)
Let us know in your recorded audition if you prefer to play in:
Both a large jazz ensemble/big band AND a jazz small group/combo
- Large jazz ensemble/big band only
- Jazz small group/combo only
- If you prefer to participate in ensembles "in-person" or "remotely"
LAWRENCE UNIVERSITY JAZZ ENSEMBLE 3:10-4:20 M&W and 4:35-5:45 Thursdays
LAWRENCE JAZZ BAND 3:10-4:30 on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
JAZZ SMALL GROUPS/COMBOS meet twice weekly for one hour TBA.
Participation in these groups is a three term/all year commitment unless you are studying off campus or graduating early. Below are the specific audition requirements for each instrument. Include your name, preferences for big band/combo, and in-person or remote participation on your recording, as well as the title/artist of the transcription you are performing (if applicable). Feel free to use online backing tracks, and if improvising on a Bb blues, include two or more choruses. Please contact the studio professor listed below if you have additional questions.
SAXOPHONES: José Encarnación
TRUMPETS: John Daniel
1. Moten Swing is required at all auditions "Moten Swing".pdf
2. One transcription to be chosen individually. Students may play their own transcription, find one on their own, or play any one of the following transcriptions provided. "Four" Miles Davis.pdf, "Autumn Leaves" Chet Baker.pdf , "West End Blues" Louis Armstrong.pdf or "Struttin' With Some Barbecue" Louis Armstrong.pdf It is essential to listen to the recordings of these pieces.
3. Improvising on Bb Blues is strongly encouraged but not required. It is a requirement for anyone wishing to participate in the combo program.
TROMBONES: Tim Albright
- Play a standard or transcription of your choice.
- Optional: Improvise on Bb Blues
PIANO: Bill Carrothers & Patty Darling
1. Play a standard (your choice)-can be improvised or a transcription.
2. Improvise and comp over a Bb Blues (optional)
GUITAR: Steve Peplin
1. Play a standard (your choice) and comp and improvise on Bb Blues
2. Sight-read (melodic and harmonic)
3. Play a transcribed solo (your choice) along with recording
BASS: Mark Urness
1. Walk and solo on Bb Blues
2. Optional: play a transcribed solo along with the original recording
DRUMS: Dane Richeson
1. Demonstrate various styles that you are familiar with (i.e. bebop, samba, baiao, mambo, songo, bembe, funk in odd meter)
2. Prepare a transcription or improvise a short solo in any style.
NON-TRADITIONAL INSTRUMENTS: Matt Turner
1. Prepare a transcription or improvise a short solo in any style.