WHAT IS BIOFEEDBACK?
Biofeedback teaches you the skill to use your thoughts and breathing to better regulate stress response. This can help with stress recovery and/or improving your peak physical performance.
Biofeedback is simply a tool in which you can receive immediate visual feedback about what your biological systems are doing. For example, our software can show you what your heart is doing and how basic changes in your breathing can influence your heart beat
Studies show that a specific heart rate pattern correlates highly with a relaxed state. At the Health and Wellness Center, we can teach you how to physically ‘put the breaks’ on your stress and achieve this desired sense of calm.
How does Biofeedback work?
- Biofeedback uses equipment to monitor physical states. It provides visual information to help you learn about the mind/body connection
- All systems in the body (thoughts, emotions, behaviors, and physical body) are connected, almost like on a rubber band. If we can make a change in any one system, we can influence the other systems. With increased balance among the systems, performance levels and positive emotions increase.
- In the Mind/Body Clinic, you can experiment with different coping strategies and develop an individualized approach for managing stress based on the visual feedback provided by the biofeedback programs. The programs use finger sensors to assess stress levels in your body by measuring your heart rate and small electrical changes in your fingertips.
- As you improve your ability to control your physical state, you can test out your skills in various video games.
In the Health and Wellness Center we use the EmWave© system, which is an easy to use computer program that teaches you to self-regulate your arousal and attention by focusing on heart rate variability. For more information on this specific system, please visit the following website: http://www.heartmath.org/
What can Biofeedback help with?
Biofeedback can be used to help with a variety of conditions, including (but not limited to):
- General Stress & Worry
- Test & Performance Anxiety
- Sleep Problems due to Stress
What can I expect at my appointment?
Initial appointments are 30 minutes and are facilitated with a certified biofeedback trainer. Additional appointments are set up on an as needed basis. You will learn how to control your heart rate using different tools and be shown your progress using a number of different interactive games.
CONTACT THE HEALTH AND WELLNESS CENTER AT 920-832-6574 TO SET UP AN APPOINTMENT WITH ERIN BUENZLI.