Lawrence University affords unique opportunities for Residence Life professionals to expand their knowledge of Student Affairs operations. As a critical component of our campus life program, Residence Hall Directors manage all aspects of a co-educational residence hall(s), ranging from 180-250 students. Residence Hall Directors report to the Associate Dean of Students for Residential Education and Housing.
Our Mission Statement
The Lawrence University Residential Education and Housing Department actively promotes the ideals of a residential campus. In doing so, we provide opportunities which support an invested and meaningful living and learning environment to better promote the development of the engaged citizen.
We accomplish this by promoting respect, empowering students to affect their community, advocating for and adapting to students’ changing needs, and providing programs and experiences beyond the classroom. Committed to the development of the whole student and the fostering of community on campus, we provide opportunities for intellectual enrichment, altruistic involvement, and personal growth through a variety of programs, services, and through our residential facilities. As a result, we enrich the community and challenge students to reach their personal potential.
Our Values Statements
- Students are our most valuable resource. Attention to each student’s needs is a high priority.
- We treat our students, each other, and members of the University community with respect and care.
- Diversity is sought and celebrated among our staff.
- Staff training and development is a high priority in maintaining a positive service approach and a re-energizer for our motivation to perform well within our jobs. In-services, training, workshops, and staff meetings are important for this reason.
- Effective and open communication will be encouraged up and down organizational channels.
- Feedback, especially constructive feedback, is valued!
- Students and staff will be included in decisions and input wherever possible.
- We demonstrate a positive commitment to providing excellent service in our interactions with others.
- Differences among students and staff are to be respected and appreciated. Listen and understand before assuming we are right and others are wrong.
- Balancing our personal lives with our work roles is vital.
- Recognition is important in building positive student and staff communities.
- Having fun and enjoying our jobs and each other is crucial to our success.