The Campus Life office at Lawrence University operates a front desk in each of the seven Residence Halls. These front desks are the focal point for the services that each Residence Hall offers. Located in the main lobby of each of the seven residence halls, the front desk often becomes a gathering area for residents looking to find others who are taking a “short study break.” On occasion Residence Life Advisors (RLAs) will host social activities while they are staffing the desk. Movies, board games, study groups, and other random activities have been known to spontaneously happen at or near the front desk in the late evening hours.
Front Desk Hours of Operation
The desk opens at 9:00 pm in the evening and stays open until midnight on both weeknights and weekends. During these hours the Residence Life Advisors (RLAs) staff the desk.
Services Offered at the Front Desks
- Light Bulbs to replace university issued desk lamps and overhead lights in student rooms can be picked up at each front desk free of charge.
- Garbage Bags for student use can be picked up free of charge.
- Each front desk is stocked with various items, purchased by each Residence Hall's Hall Council, that students can check out for free or a minimal deposit. Hall Council typically determines what items require a deposit, which can be borrowed for free, and how long items can be checked out. If the student returns the items by the deadline, the deposit is returned to the student in full.
Typical Items Found at the Front Desks
Note: Since each Hall Council purchases different items, for their particular front desk, this list can vary for each front desk.
- Vacuum (all front desks)
- Various cleaning supplies
- Various Board games
- Various DVDs
- Various tools
- Various sports equipment (balls, frisbees, etc.)