The Memorial Chapel was built in 1918 at a cost of $125,000, funded entirely by subscriptions from Appleton citizens, alumni, and friends of the college. A formal dedication ceremony was held on December 17, 1918. The Chapel was dedicated in memory of Helen Fairfield Naylor, Myra Goodwin Plantz, and Lawrentians killed in the war which had ended just one month earlier. The building was originally intended to serve as the center of religious life for the college as well as a civic space for large meetings and concerts. Over time, the Chapel has hosted a wide variety of musicians, performers, and guest speakers, in addition to many concerts and recitals by Lawrence students and faculty.
In celebration of the Chapel's 100th anniversary, the LU Archives presents two projects featuring a selection of guest performers from the past 100 years. Both projects were completed by Archives student assistant Robert Desotelle '18.