Housing Accommodations

Individuals with a disability seeking housing accommodations (i.e. an exception to the standard Lawrence rules and procedures) must document their disability and the need for the requested accommodations. This information must be documented by a licensed healthcare provider with expertise in the area of diagnosis. 

If you are seeking an accommodation for use of a Service Animal, which is different than an Assistance Animal (also known as an Emotional Support Animal), please contact the Office of the Dean of Students directly as different requirements apply to these requests.

Housing accommodations are not academic accommodations. In order to determine if special housing accommodations are reasonable accommodations, we must receive detailed documentation of the connection of your disability-related limitations with the need for special housing arrangements that cannot be secured through the housing selection process or after a room has been selected. 

A decision on housing accommodations cannot be made without proper documentation. Such documentation should come from the healthcare provider the student has been working with. Campus health and counseling staff can provide support or can answer questions, but may not have enough knowledge of a specific student’s history or situation to provide enough documentation to support an accommodation.

In order for your request and documentation to be as complete as possible, the following questions should be answered on the housing accommodation request form:

  • What is the nature of the diagnosis?
  • How long will it continue?
  • How does the issue manifest itself?
  • What aggravates the problem?
  • What makes it better?
  • What type of housing is needed or ideal?

There are some situations for which the University is unlikely to be able to make special housing accommodations. These include things like being a light sleeper, not being able to study with other people in the room, or having seasonal allergies. If we are unable to accommodate your request, we will work with you to assist you in making good choices during the housing selection process.

The deadline for continuing students to request accommodations for the upcoming academic year is late April. Requests submitted after the deadline will be considered, but there is no guarantee that the accommodations will be fulfilled. Students who submit their request after the deadline can expect to hear about the status of their request during the summer and before the start of the next academic year.

Note: If you are currently receiving housing accommodations, you do not need to submit additional documentation and will receive a memo by email with instructions about how to continue with accommodations for the coming academic year.

Incoming students should indicate their housing needs on the housing questionnaire and follow the process indicated above if seeking housing accommodations for a documented disability.

Procedure for requesting housing accommodations:

  1. Read this page thoroughly.
  2. Fill out this Documentation for Housing Accommodations Form (PDF) and have your healthcare provider complete the documentation for housing accommodations form.
  3. Submit the housing accommodation request form (PDF) and all supporting documentation to the Office of the Dean of Students for review.
  4. The Dean of Students will review the request and decide if additional information is needed. The Dean may consult with other Lawrence staff or your health care provider prior to making a decision. You may be contacted for more information regarding your request.
  5. If needed, the Dean may ask for a meeting to discuss your request in more detail. You may request a meeting if you think it would be helpful.
  6. The Dean of Students will make a decision regarding your request and you will be informed in writing.
Housing Assistance Animals

Students requesting a housing assistance animal must complete the above steps and submit the housing assistance animal agreement found here (PDF).