Wellness Services Vision and Mission
LU Wellness Services is committed to promoting a holistic approach to mental health through our mission and vision
What Is Included in the Training Opportunities
The mental health training program in Wellness Services is structured to be a holistic advanced training experience for masters and doctoral level professional counseling, psychology, or social work students aimed at cultivating learning and growth in early career professionals. The placement would ideally occur over a full academic year (September – June). Half academic year placements (January-June) will also be considered. The training program includes:
- 16 to 24 hours/week of clinical time with approximately 8 to 12 client sessions/week
- Video recording all sessions for periodic review in supervision
- At least one hour of individual supervision each week
- Focused training on issues of suicide assessment and diversity, equity, inclusion, and anti-racism
- On-going and summative two-way evaluation feedback
- Participating in alternating biweekly staff Wellness Services/Counseling staff meetings and weekly case conference meetings
- (As scheduling allows) Opportunities to interface with the greater LU community through outreach activities, Student Life Divisional Meetings, All Staff Meetings, and other assorted campus activities
- (As required/requested) Integration of other placement related academic training requirements from the trainee’s academic institution
Yearly Training Program Timeline
The LU academic year functions on a three-term system. As such, our training schedule may look slightly different than other college/university counseling centers with Fall Term starting after Labor Day and Spring Term ending in mid-June. (Please refer to the LU academic calendar for specific dates.)
Trainees are requested to be available for orientation prior to the beginning of the academic year and for additional time as needed to complete terminations at the end of the academic year. Any issues with schedule conflicts will be considered on a case-by-case basis and negotiated as needed to best accommodate the needs of all involved.
HOW TO APPLY
- Resume or vitae, include references
- Cover letter addressing your interest in training at LU Wellness Services
- A statement about your commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion (which can be included/imbedded within your cover letter)
For full consideration for a full academic year training position starting in September, please apply by March 1st.
For full consideration for a half academic year training position starting in January, please apply by October 1st.
What Comes Next
Once your application is received, you will be notified of whether or not you will be invited to have an approximately one-to-two-hour interview with the Wellness Services team prior to a final decision about a training placement being made.
Ongoing or Previous Clients of Wellness Services or Wellness Services Staff
Training applicants who may be past therapy clients at LU Wellness Services, or a former client of one of the members of LU Wellness Services staff from another facility, shall not be excluded from applying for the training program. Prior to placement being finalized with any trainee applicant/former client, issues related to dual role conflicts, confidentiality, and integrity of files will need to be negotiated to the satisfaction of the ALL parties, including the trainee/client, the LU Wellness Services Training Director, and the Dean of Wellness Services. We request that you be forthcoming if you have used our services here or have a prior therapeutic relationship with one of the on-staff providers when applying for a training position so that, together, we can engage in the most fully informed, ethical, decision-making process as possible.
For more information, please contact:
Megan Lyons, PsyD
Licensed Clinical Psychologist/Training Director
Buchanan Kiewit Wellness Center
711 E. Boldt Way
Appleton, WI 54911