Athlete Portal FAQ


I am having trouble logging in for the first time using "new" for the username and password, what do I do?

If possible, DO NOT use Internet Explorer.  Then, make sure you using lowercase "new" for both spaces.  If you are still having trouble, restart your internet browser and check your popups.  After you enter "new" and "new" and  there is a popup that comes up that you need to agree too before you can advance.  "atslu" should be in the database space.

If you are using Internet Explorer and are having problems... Before logging in to the Athlete Portal (but while on the page) press the "alt" key on the keyboard. This will open the Menu Bar in your browser, then click  "Tools".  Select “Compatibility View” under the tools selections and you should see the page resize.  You should now be able to login.

If you are still having trouble, please contact the Head Athletic Trainer.

I don't have my on campus address or SPC yet, how can I continue filling out the online form?

Simply put "unknown" in the box for LU address.  Fill in Appleton, WI 54911, USA in the appropriate blanks.  After you receive your LU address and SPC #, please log-in and enter the updated information.  SPC #s are typically issued mid to late August.

I have filled out all the required information on the portal, but in the paperwork section there are no check marks indicating I have completed everything.  How do I know I am good to go?

The paperwork section is filled out by the Athletic Training Staff once the information you submitted has been reviewed.  Keep checking back for updates to the section to make sure you have everything completed. During the summer, this can take up to a week to be updated due to the amount of information coming in.

I can't upload a file or insurance card image because it is too large, what should I do?

You can try compressing them and re-uploading or e-mail the files to the Head Athletic Trainer and they will be uploaded for you.  

Back to top

Physical Form FAQ


Where can I get the required Lawrence University physical form?

Several possibilities include:

  1. For first-year students, you can download the New-Student Form from the Health Services webpage.
  2. For returning students, you can download the Returning Student Athlete Medical History and Physical Form from the Returning Student-Athlete section.
  3. The Athletic Training office in Alexander Gymnasium.

What do I do about the August 1st deadline if my physical is scheduled after that date?

Please submit all completed paperwork/online files by the deadline and submit the physical form when it is complete.  All paperwork submitted after the August 1 deadline for fall sports is subject to review before the student-athlete is allowed to participate.  This means that the student-athlete may not be able to participate until 48 hours after all forms are received to allow for proper review.  This is for the student-athlete's well-being.

I sent my physical to Lawrence right before I came to school.  My first practice is tomorrow and you still do not have it because it is in the mail, what do I do?

You cannot practice until we receive your physical. We always advise you to BRING a copy with you if there is a chance we would not get it until after practice starts.  Remember, as a first-year student, you will send your physical to Health Services and a copy to Athletic Training.

Can I wait to get a physical in Appleton rather than in my hometown with my own doctor?

Yes, but there are few choices and they require payment for this service. You will have to find a provider who is in your health insurance network. Please allow at least a few days to get in. Make sure you take our form for the doctor to fill out and complete.  If you need assistance with this, please contact the Head Athletic Trainer.

I had a physical in the summer, but it is not on the Lawrence University physical form. What do I do?

We will accept the physical IF it clears you to participate in intercollegiate athletics, but PREFER that our form is used instead.  You can also fax our form to your physician's office for them to fill out and return to us.  We will not accept a note that says "cleared for intercollegiate athletics."

I had a physical last year; can I just use that one?

NO, you must have had your physical within six months of either (1) the first day of practice for fall sports or (2) the first day of classes or the first day of practice for winter and spring sports.  For Transfer students, your physical date must be within six months of your first day of participation in athletics at Lawrence.  Any physicals older than six months will not be accepted. 

Why do physicals need to be conducted within six months of the participation date in athletics each year?

A student-athlete’s medical history changes over time and the closer the exam is to the start of participation, the more accurate the information.   The medical examination should ideally be performed at least 6 weeks prior to the start of activity to allow time for treatment and rehabilitation of identified problems. Six months has been identified as the limit by the NCAA. This allows institutions the flexibility to accommodate large number of student athletes arriving for the fall semester.

Do I need a new physical every year I compete at Lawrence University?

YES, you do. For returning athletes we have specifically designated free "Physical Updates" with our affiliated Orthopedic Surgeons and Family Practice Doctors.

If you miss the scheduled night, YOU must find and schedule your own physical. This may incur insurance or out of pocket fees.

Do I need to have all the immunizations listed on the physical form?

Yes, we would like all incoming first-year athletes to have this on record and many are required by the state and university.

My doctor forgot to sign and/or check the no restriction box on the physical form?

We cannot accept this without these two items being completed. You must get your doctor to fill in these vital areas before you will be allowed to try out for the team or begin practice.

Who may conduct the student-athlete’s medical examination?

Any licensed medical physician may conduct the medical exam.  A physicians assistant or nurse practitioner may administer the medical exam under the supervision and approval of a licensed medical physician.

Back to top


Insurance FAQ


What are the insurance requirements?

All Lawrence University student-athletes must provide proof of a primary health insurance policy that has a limit of at least $90,000 and also covers intercollegiate/athletically-related injuries.  

This is a prerequisite for practice and competition set forth by the NCAA.  No student-athlete will be allowed to participate in any team activities including, but not limited to, practice, competition, strength and conditioning sessions, until such evidence of current insurance coverage is on file with the Lawrence University Department of Athletics.  This includes a copy of both sides of your insurance card and more detailed insurance and policyholder information which is entered in to the Athlete Portal.

If you have questions regarding the terms of your coverage, you should contact your insurer immediately.  Please be sure to note if there are any exclusions in your policy regarding athletically-related injuries, intercollegiate athletics, or regional coverage.  If your insurance does not meet these requirements, Lawrence University will review the individual circumstances.

Will the insurance offered through the school cover my athletic participation?

NO, the Student Assurance Accident and Sickness policy offered through Lawrence University does not cover athletically related injures so therefore it is not a valid form of insurance for intercollegiate athletic participation.

I do not have insurance, can I still play a sport at Lawrence University?

NO, you cannot play or practice until you have a valid insurance policy that meets the requirements above.

How do I know if a plan does not cover athletically related injuries?

The exclusions are typically located in the plan documents.  Please read the list of exclusions thoroughly noting any sport type activity exclusions.  Some policies exclude only extreme sports (sky diving, SCUBA, etc.) while others may only exclude semi-pro or pro sports, and others exclude intercollegiate athletics specifically.  The list of exclusions should be available prior to you purchasing the insurance, if not, please call the insurance company to obtain the exclusions.

How do I know if I am out of network?

Please review your primary health insurance policy regarding “out of state and/or out of area coverage” prior to your arrival at LU.  This will help ensure the you have adequate, hassle-free coverage while you are here at school.  In order to provide the best coverage and minimize problems (such as denial of treatment, or refusal of payment), be proactive and explore the possibility of modifying your current plan or purchasing additional insurance coverage to ensure the student-athlete will be fully covered away from home. 

Completing the Medical Facility Access form on the Athlete Portal will give us all a better understanding of how your policy will work in the Lawrence University area.

Where can I get insurance?

Most students have insurance through their parents' policy. If this is not possible, you can go anywhere to get a policy.  Please, make sure it meets the requirements outlined above.  The duration of the policy will need to cover the entire length of the traditional season (formal playing season), off-season strength and conditioning sessions, and the non-traditional season (short off-season).  For most sports, this is the entire academic year.  If you need help finding a policy, please contact the Head Athletic Trainer or see below.

There are a few companies that have short term policies that cover athletic injuries.  Please make sure to read the exclusions and make sure that intercollegiate athletics is not excluded from coverage. 

United Health Care Short-Term Plan (GoldenRule)

HCC-Tokio Marine Short-Term Plan (This plan covers minors)

Allied National Short-Term Plan

For international student-athletes, there are some study abroad plans that cover athletic injuries.  Most of these plans are geared towards international students looking to study in the USA.  These are typically more cost effective than purchasing a short-term plan. 

HTH Travel Insurance: GeoBlue Navigator Health Plan
HCC Insurance StudentSecure: Budget, Select, and Elite Plans ONLY (NOT SMART)
Gouda Reseforsakring--For students who are in receipt of a grant for studies from the Swedish National Board of Student Aid (CSN) for studies at an educational institute abroad. The insurance is also available for students who are not in receipt of grant for studies from CSN, but who have been accepted to an educational institute abroad that would entitle grant for studies abroad from CSN.

What about the insurance through the NCAA?

The NCAA's Catastrophic Injury Insurance Program covers student-athletes who are catastrophically injured while participating in a covered intercollegiate athletic activity (subject to all policy terms and conditions). The policy has a $90,000 deductible. This coverage does not qualify as the basic coverage required for participation in athletics at Lawrence University. It is supplemental coverage in the event of a catastrophic injury. More information on this program can be found on the NCAA website.

What if my primary health insurance policy changes or lapses during the academic year?

As soon as there is a change in your primary health insurance, the Athletic Training Staff at Lawrence University needs to be notified and provided with the new insurance information.  Please update your Athlete Portal insurance information tab as well. 

If your insurance lapses for any reason, you are responsible for getting new insurance immediately.  Failure to do so will result in the suspension of the your playing status as well as the potential delay of advanced medical care



If I get hurt playing a sport at Lawrence University and my insurance does not pay all my medical bills, will Lawrence University's insurance cover the balance, thus eliminating my out-of-pocket expenses?

NO, Lawrence University does not carry primary or secondary coverage on its student-athletes and will assume no responsibility whatsoever for the payment of, or authorization to pay, medical expenses resulting from injuries that occur while participating in intercollegiate athletics at Lawrence University.  All athletes are required to carry their own medical insurance and are responsible for all costs incurred while playing sports.  

Starting with the 2017-2018 academic year, LU will carry an Excess Insurance Policy.  More information to come soon.

I do not have an insurance card because I am a military veteran or have benefits through the military (child of military parent, etc).  What do I do?

Simply get us a copy of your valid military ID as proof of insurance.

The following are some known insurance plans that DO NOT cover athletically related injuries (updated 03/17).

Student Assurance Services: Blanket Student Accident & Sickness Plan

HCC Insurance Company: Short Term Medical, Atlas Travel, and StudentSecure Smart plans

Assurant Health: Short Term Health Insurance

The IHC Group

Back to top  


Sickle Cell Trait FAQ


What is Sickle Cell Trait?

It’s a generally benign condition in which a person inherits from their parents one gene for the oxygen-carrying element in their red blood cells – hemoglobin – and one gene for sickle shaped hemoglobin.  It is not the same as the more severe condition, sickle cell disease, in which both genes for sickle hemoglobin are inherited.  Those with the trait experience normal healthy lives.  Only in situations where the body is pushed to extreme conditions, as athletes do, can the trait sometimes cause red blood cells to sickle and block blood vessels, denying oxygen to muscles and organs.  But in most cases, carriers of the trait live normal, healthy lives without incident.  Please see the Sickle Cell Trait fact sheet for student-athletes or visit the Sickle Cell Trait page for more information

Why do I need to show proof of testing?

Starting August 1, 2013, all Division III schools must confirm the sickle cell trait status of incoming (new and transfer) student-athletes before participation in intercollegiate athletics.   Starting August 1, 2014, all student-athletes must confirm their sickle cell trait status.

How can I show proof of testing?

Proof can be shown in one of three ways.

Documentation: The student-athlete may provide documented results of a sickle cell solubility test administered before participation.

Pending documentation: A student-athlete who has taken a sickle cell solubility test but whose results are not yet confirmed may participate provided the student-athlete engages in mandatory education, signs a waiver and receives appropriate precautions.

Opt-out: The student-athlete may sign a waiver declining confirmation of sickle cell trait status. Before signing a waiver, the student-athlete shall be provided education regarding the implications of exercising the waiver option. Before athletics participation, a student-athlete who signs a waiver under this provision shall engage in mandatory education regarding sickle cell trait status.

Where can I get the Sickle Cell Trait Testing and Waiver form?

The waiver is located in the e-forms section of the Athlete Portal, it is an online form. 

Why do I need to be tested?

Lawrence University recommends that all student‐athletes who are unable to confirm their sickle cell trait status undergo sickle cell trait testing prior to participation in any intercollegiate athletic activity.  Knowledge of sickle cell trait status can be a gateway to education and simple precautions that may prevent collapse among athletes with sickle cell trait, allowing you to thrive in your sport.

What if I don't know my test results or know if I was tested?

Actually, tests for sickle cell trait are currently performed on all newborns in the U.S., but few are aware of a positive result because the condition is not considered life threatening in most of the population.  You may obtain results from testing performed as a newborn by following the contact information on this document: 50 States SCT Results

How can I get tested?

Sickle cell trait testing in the form of a blood test can be done by the student‐ athlete's primary care physician.  The expense of the test is the responsibility of the student‐athlete. 

What if I have been tested, but I do not have my results yet, can I still participate?

Yes, provided that the student-athlete engages in mandatory education, signs a waiver and receives appropriate precautions.

Will I still be able to participate if I test positive?

Student‐athletes who test positive for the trait will NOT be prohibited from participating in intercollegiate athletics.

What if I don't want to be tested?

Knowledge of sickle cell trait status can be a gateway to education and simple precautions that may prevent collapse among athletes with sickle cell trait, allowing you to thrive in your sport.  However, it is ultimately your decision if you wish to know your status.  If you choose not to provide results, you must simply sign the Sickle Cell Trait Testing Waiver.

Back to top


ADD/ADHD Medication FAQ

ADD/ADHD Medication FAQ


I am currently taking medication for ADHD. What do I need from my doctor?

Please refer to the Banned Substance Exception Attachment  for information required from your doctor.

Does a student-athlete need to have an updated letter from the prescribing physician on file each year of their eligibility?

Yes, an annual follow-up with the prescribing physician is the minimum standard, and that can be reflected in a letter from the physician or a copy of the medical record, with written indication of the current treatment.

Back to top

LarryU Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube