Special Circumstance Request
At Lawrence University, we understand that sometimes the FAFSA may not accurately reflect your current financial situation. There may be changes in income in the last two years, extenuating circumstances that occurred after completing the FAFSA, or expenses that weren’t accounted for on your application. For this reason, we encourage students and families to reach out to the Financial Aid Office to discuss the “special circumstances” review process.
During a special circumstances review, our office works with families to gather materials in order to document the changes in their financial situation. Based on the documented changes, we will reevaluate the student’s eligibility for federal, state, and/or institutional financial aid. Any change in federal/state aid will be automatically offered to the student. In order to receive additional Lawrence grant assistance, the student must accept the Federal Direct Student Loans offered to them.
In addition to the information below, you must also complete the Financial Aid Checklist requirements. Documents can be submitted to the Financial Aid Office by email, fax or mail.
- Include the student's name and date of birth
- Be sure to include key things, such as: dates (when did things occur?), names (who was affected?), and specific dollar amounts.
- Statement must be signed by parent or student
2. Tax documents
- Signed copy of 2020 Federal Tax Return (when available)
- Copy of 2020 W-2 Forms (when available)
3. Supporting documentation
- Requests will not be considered until supporting documentation is provided.
- Examples: medical bills, termination letter, court records, billing statements, etc.