Good health is a necessary component of academic success. To help maintain student health, Lawrence University requires all students to carry health insurance. This requirement may help prevent student's academic progress from being interrupted, halted, or seriously impacted if they become ill or injured. Students are asked to provide a copy of their current insurance card to Wellness Services.
CHECK WITH YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY TO VERIFY YOU HAVE COVERAGE IN THE APPLETON AREA.
This requirement can be meet one of two ways:
- Students can purchase their own insurance, either as an individual or as a dependent on your parent or guardian's health insurance policy; or
- Students can purchase the Lawrence University Insurance Plan available through Wellfleet Health Insurance.
Partnering Insurance Company
Lawrence University works closely with a servicing agent that provides student health insurance plans. Our international student and domestic student health insurance plans are ACA compliant and have athletic coverage. Please see Wellfleet Health Insurance website for information regarding enrollment and plan coverage.
The student health insurance plan administered by Wellfleet Insurance, has been vetted to ensure appropriate coverage in the Appleton area. Find out more information regarding coverage related to COVID-19 here https://wellfleetstudent.com/covid-19/.
International Student Health Insurance
International students are considered non-citizen visa holders (typically F-1 and J-1 visas). All international students will be automatically enrolled in Lawrence's student insurance plan. International students are enrolled in the plan automatically, unless a waiver (http://www.lawrence.edu/mm/4415) is submitted to the International Student Services Office by August 1, 2020. Please refer to the International Student Health page for more information. If international students have any questions about insurance, please contact our Associate Dean of Students for International Student Services, Leah McSorley.
Domestic Student Health Insurance
Domestic students are considered students that are US citizens. This includes students with dual citizenship. Domestic students are not automatically enrolled in an insurance plan. U.S. based students may opt-in to the Wellfleet policy (enrollment deadline, Oct. 1) by enrolling at the website (https://www.studentinsurance.com/client/Home/Splash/863). More information about other insurance plans can be found at HealthCare.gov.
- Key Insurance Terms and Definitions
- Advanced Glossary of Insurance Terms: National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC)
- 2020 Guide to U.S. Health Care for Students with Global Backgrounds at Lawrence University
- Video overview of the U.S. Health system created by International Student Health Insurance