The Fair Housing program connects Lawrence University and the Fox Valley community through outreach and volunteerism to ensure that stable and affordable housing, emergency assistance, and transitional housing are accessible to all. We partner with four organizations (COTS, Habitat for Humanity, Harbor House, Homeless Connections, Warming Shelter) that intercept different stages of the homeless continuum, serving families, women, men, and children.
COTS, Inc. is a transitional shelter helping individuals experiencing homelessness in the Fox Cities, Wisconsin. Our goal is to end homelessness by helping individuals to transition to self-sufficiency and independent living.
- Cook meals for the shelter
- Special events throughout the year
- Make laundry detergent
Greater Fox Cities Area Habitat for Humanity Menasha
Habitat for Humanity partners with people in the community, and all over the world, to help them build or improve a place they can call home. Habitat homeowners help build their own homes alongside volunteers and pay an affordable mortgage. With your support, Habitat homeowners achieve the strength, stability and independence they need to build a better life for themselves and for their families. Through our 2020 Strategic Plan, Habitat for Humanity will serve more people than ever before through decent and affordable housing.
- Volunteer opportunities consist of group trips on site: deconstruction, rehabilitation, and construction of homes.
- Monthly events like Celebration of Partnership, Health and Home Safety Workshop, and the Good Neighbor Class
Harbor House leads a community-wide partnership in the prevention of domestic violence and abuse, and offers safety and support to diverse families in crisis. In order to meet their mission the following 6 programs are offered: Shelter Program, Children’s Program, Women’s Program, Community Education Program, Domestic Violence Program, and the Volunteer Program.
- Volunteers must apply on an individual basis, however pre-arranged volunteer groups are welcome!
- Students interested in providing childcare, teaching courses on life skills, offering crafts, or leading a group activity for all ages are highly encouraged to volunteer with us.
To end homelessness by connecting individuals and families to resources that promote self-sufficiency and prevent future homeless episodes. Homeless Connections is a leader in the fight against homelessness in the Fox Valley, working collaboratively to improve the quality of living for the people we serve, as well as the community as a whole.
- Volunteer receptionist
- Prepare and serve a nighttime snack
- Collect donations
- Administrative assistant
- Fundraising events
Fox Valley Warming Shelter
Fox Valley Warming Shelter is a temporary overnight shelter that serves a maximum capacity of 60 homeless adults (men and women 18+) any given night. In addition to meal preparation, access to hygiene facilities and other useful resources designed to connect clients to employment, counseling, and stable housing; the Warming Shelter is dedicated to providing a safe space to all its clients.
- Volunteers and groups needed: 6-7 students welcome to participate in our meal planning and preparation program. We are also looking for groups willing to help with light cleaning/ maintaining a healthy environment for our clients!