Click here for Elder Advocacy volunteer opportunities.
The focus of Elder Rights and Care is to raise awareness about volunteerism and service to the elderly in the community since elder loneliness is a serious problem in our community. Our mission is to bring entertainment and companionship and to better support the elderly in our community, which we accomplish through Building Intergenerational Relationships (BIR).
Brewster Village provides short term rehabilitation and long term nursing home services designed to meet individuals' social and medical needs. We provide exceptional care based on person-directed values and practices where the voices of our residents are encouraged and respected. Choice, dignity, respect, self determination and purposeful living are the core values of our care.
- Individuals interested in building one-on-one relationships with residents can volunteer at Brewster by taking residents out for walks, helping out at the Brewster Cafe, and assisting residents with gardening on world events) [Requires background check]
- Sign up with Brewster Village to arrange one-on-one time spent with residents [Requires background check]
- In Need of Volunteers for Life Enrichment Events every months [Requires background check]
- For above, please check the link below for more details. http://www.outagamie.org/government/departments-a-e/brewster-village/join-our-team-volunteer-opportunities
- Vary from one-time events to biweekly visits (Hosted by BIR) [Background check is not required]
Thompson Center on Lourdes
The Thompson Center on Lourdes is a nonprofit community center, and their motto is "Celebrating Life over 50." And people definitely celebrate life here with all of the activities we have to offer as participation continues to grow. The Thompson Center went through some changes recently and there are many more additions to come!
- Instruct seniors in light fitness
- Host art, music, and light dance classes for seniors
Building Intergenerational Relationships (BIR)
BIR was founded last year as a collaboration between two student organizations: Glamour Gals and Brewster Buddies. 2 years ago, Brewster Buddies focused on bringing entertainment and building one-on-one relationships between the Villagers and Lawrentians. Glamour Gals, on the other hand focused on providing opportunities for Villagers to get their nails and makeup done, to make them feel beautiful.
This year, BIR brings the great qualities of both organizations and visits Brewster Village multiple times throughout the year. BIR works closely with Brewster Village in holding events such as Prom, Casino Night, Winter Carnival, and many more.
- Volunteers will give manicures and makeovers to Brewster Village residents
- Play games and solve puzzles with the residents
- Help host Brewster Village Life Enrichment Events every month