The Child Advocacy Service Corps program aims to understand the issues facing children in the Fox Valley and partner with community organizations devoted to children (Edison Elementary School, The Building for Kids Children’s Museum, The Community Early Learning Center) in order to address these root issues.
Edison Elementary School
Lawrence Assistance Reaching Youth (LARY):
The LARY Buddy program matches Lawrence students with Edison Elementary students to support the younger students both in and out of the classroom. Edison students benefit by having additional support academically, socially, and behaviorally. Lawrence students join their buddies in class, go to recess, eat lunch, go to the park, and otherwise enrich the life of their buddy. Lawrence students spend two hours a week with their buddies.
- Application and background check required.
- Weekly commitment.
- One-on-one mentoring of elementary school children in need of extra behavioral/social support
- Work with kids in the Wellness room to help them channel their energy in a positive way, activate their brains and help them focus on their academics.
- Play playground games and sports with kids at recess.
Building For Kids Children's Museum
The Building For Kids Children's Museum aims to empower children, engage parents and energize communities. They accomplish their mission by providing specially designed exhibits, programs and events. Their goal is to inspire, teach and reinforce curiosity.
- Support the activities in the da Vinci Art & Science Studio
- Volunteer at special events including the Children's Parade and Breakfast with the Grinch, Storybook Stars and more.
Community Early Learning Center
The Community Early Learning Center (CELC) is a multi-agency center that helps to ensure that by age 5, children of the Fox Valley have the foundation to achieve their full potential.
- Even Start Family Literacy needs tutors for adults in an English Language Learning classroom
- 2 hour shifts Monday-Thursday; 9-11 am or 1-3 pm