Choir Auditions for Fall 2020
Welcome back! Whether you are joining us remotely or in-person, we are excited to make music together. Here is the information you need for planning your fall choral experience.
What are the choral options for Fall term 2020?
Please click HERE for our current plans.
Returning Student Audition Information
You will not need to audition this fall. Given the turmoil of our spring 2020 term, it was important to reduce your workload wherever possible. We have a good sense from past experience of where you might best fit.
Please take a minute to complete this form to let us know your plans for choir this fall.
New Student Audition Information
- Please sign up for a live synchronous audition HERE.
- We will meet with you live on Zoom
- HERE is a guide to maximizing the audio quality for your audition on Zoom
- If you have a microphone you can connect to your device that will help us hear your voice better. Please use headphones if possible. Please be sure to turn on "original sound"
- If you are auditioning for an advanced choir (Cantala, Concert Choir, Viking Bass Clef Ensemble) or if you're pursuing a voice-primary major (such as choral music education or vocal performance), we'll send you a file with a list of exercises right before your audition. If you are interested in Viking Chorale, you won't need those exercises. For the advanced choir auditions, we'll be sigh-reading some rhythms and melodies during your audition. Be sure to have them ready to access, and, of course, don't play or sing through them in advance (that wouldn't be sight reading!)
Here’s what the audition will look like:
1. We’ll let you into the meeting when we’re ready. It’s best to log into the meeting a few minutes early and take a few deep breaths. You’re going to do great!
2. We’ll start with conversation. We’re excited to speak with you and get to know you.
3. We’ll move to vocalizing you throughout your range. You’ll click on the “Vocalizations” sound-files below and sing through each until it is too low or high for you.
4. We’ll then try to find your voice’s healthiest tessitura (where it likes to hang out, so to speak). You’ll click on “My Country Tis of Thee” in the keys that we suggest to you. If you’re not familiar with that song, please click HERE to get a copy of the song.
5. We’ll move next to some ear-training games. We’ll play some intervals on the piano and ask you to sing them back. We’ll play a chord on the piano and ask you to sing the lowest, highest, or middle notes.
6. Finally, we’ll move to some sight-reading exercises. We’ll suggest a line from the document you’ll have just received, and ask you to clap through the rhythms. We’ll suggest a line from the document and ask you to sight-sing the melody (we’ll give you the starting pitch and ask you to sing it unaccompanied).
And that's it! This isn't The Voice - we're not here to ascertain if you have "it". We're here to celebrate what you know, figure out what you don't yet know so we know what to teach, and help you find the right choir for this year. Enjoy the process, sing with pride, and help us get to know you!