How Credits Transfer to Lawrence

Some courses will transfer to Lawrence and some will not. Only courses applicable to the programs and degrees offered by Lawrence, taken at an accredited college or university, and in which you earned a C- or better will be accepted.  In general, if you can find the same course listed under the same subject in the Lawrence course catalog, it should be eligible for transfer.

Final decisions about the transfer of credit and its application to degree requirements will be based on an evaluation of an official transcript of your work by the Registrar after you have been offered admission to the program.  How transfer courses will be applied to major, minor, or interdisciplinary area requirements will be up to the appropriate academic departments.  Transfer students should expect to do the majority of the work for their majors at Lawrence.

Lawrence Units and Equivalent Credit

A Lawrence unit is a measure of credit just like a semester hour or quarter hour. Students normally earn 54 units in a year (fall, winter, spring terms) which is equivalent to 30 semester hours (two semesters) or 45 quarter hours (three quarters). A standard 6-unit course at Lawrence is the equivalent of 3.33 semester hours or 5 quarter hours. Credit for courses accepted from other colleges and universities for transfer will be converted to Lawrence units. No more than 108 units (two years) of transfer work will be applied to the requirements for a Lawrence degree. Be sure to see the course catalog for complete information about degree and residence requirements.

Official Transcripts and Credit Evaluations

Your transcripts will be officially evaluated for credit after you have been admitted to the university. To have your college work reviewed for transfer, you must provide us with an official transcript (i.e., the registrar at your former college must send it directly to our admissions office in a sealed envelope or have it delivered by an e-transcript delivery service). Transcripts in your possession, sealed in an envelope or not, are not considered official.

If you are transferring credit from an institution outside the United States, please submit your transcripts/documents to Education Credential Evaluators, Inc (ECE) or World Education Services (WES). for evaluation. You should request a course-by-course evaluation and will be responsible for any fees incurred. The evaluation report of your coursework will be used in determining the transfer credit to be awarded.

Transfer students receive a statement from the Registrar listing the courses accepted toward a Lawrence degree. The evaluation will include the Lawrence unit value awarded to each accepted course, a list of courses denied transfer, a list of courses pending review of requested information (description, syllabus), a statement of the work required for graduation, and your academic class standing on entry.

If you are in the process of completing an academic term while you're applying to Lawrence, we will only be able to give you an official course evaluation on the courses you have completed. We will send you a revised evaluation after we receive your final transcript and our registrar has reviewed it.

Applying Transfer Work to Degree Requirements

Transfer credit may be used to fulfil degree, general education, major, minor, and interdisciplinary area requirements. The amount of transfer work that may be applied is governed by the residence requirements for the degree (see the course catalog) and in the case of majors, minors, and interdisciplinary areas, the appropriate academic department. Transfer students should expect to do the majority of the work for their majors at Lawrence.

You should know:

  • a 5-unit transfer course (equivalent to 3 semester hours or 4 quarter hours) may fulfill a 6-unit general education requirement, and with the approval of the appropriate academic department, a requirement for a major, minor, or interdisciplinary area.
  • transfer courses may NOT be used to complete the writing- or speaking-intensive competency requirements. These must be completed with courses taken on the Lawrence campus.
  • if you are awarded 54 or more Lawrence units with no more than half from a single department and at least one course from three out of the four academic divisions, you can expect to have the Freshman Studies requirement waived.
  • you will work with your academic advisor and faculty in the appropriate departments to determine how the transfer credit might be applied to specific requirements for majors, minors, and interdisciplinary areas. In some cases this might involve placement exams and, in the Conservatory, auditions for the purpose of making sure you start your work at Lawrence at a level best for you.

Course Catalog

You can learn more about the programs, areas of study, and courses offered at Lawrence by taking a look at our course catalog online. It will help you get a better sense of the opportunities you will have at Lawrence to explore your interests and develop new ones.

Schedule a Visit

 Visiting campus is the best way to get a feel for the campus which will help with your decision. Try the food, meet some students, see the sights, chat with professors, sit down with an admission counselor and more. Schedule your visit to Lawrence.

Contact Us

We have admissions officers dedicated to transfer admissions; feel free to contact them anytime.

Chuck Erickson
Transfer Admissions Coordinator

Marcy O'Malley
Director of International Admissions for International Transfer Students

If you are an international student who would like to transfer to Lawrence, please make sure to use the international admissions checklist when applying.

Apply to Lawrence

At this time we are accepting applications for the 2020 academic year. We look forward to hearing from you.

We accept either the Common Application or the Lawrence Application with no preference for one over the other. Lawrence University does not charge an application fee.

Common Application

Lawrence Application

Financial Aid Information

Transfer students are eligible for merit-based scholarships up to $30,000 per year! Phi Theta Kappa scholars will receive a scholarship of $30,000 upon admittance. Learn more about the financial aid offered to transfer students at Lawrence and see the financial aid checklist.