Critically examine the past to understand the present.
View coursework requirements for history majors and minors.
From Asia to the Americas and more, learn from experts.
Produce an original work of history
From the Newberry Library in Chicago to the National Archives, participate in and pursue opportunities to access the greatest libraries and archives in the country for original research projects.
The Chandler Senior Experience
The Practice of History is a collaborative one-term seminar in which you produce your own original work of history.
Recent Senior Experiences include:
- Bob & Bing Do Their Thing: White, Middle-Class Masculinity in World War II America”
- Boxer Jack Johnson and the 1910 Mann Act: A Knockout Act in Two Parts
- Peace, Politics and the Vortex: The Cultural and Political Consequences of Oregon’s Only State-Sponsored Rock Concert
- Josephine Butler: from Philanthropy to Political Activism"
- The Development of the Nazi Concentration Camp System
- The Translation of Memory: Accounts of Female Sent-Down Youths’ Experiences of Sexuality in Chinese and English Memoirs
- Cuckoldry and the ‘Gone for a Soldier’ Narrative: Infidelity and Performance among Eighteenth-Century English Plebeians
- A Larger, Brighter Life: Radical Literature and the Motivations of the First Russian Terrorists
Converse with the past about the future
Intern at the History Museum across the street from campus and gain hands-on experience with historical preservation—in a castle.
Step into the past, abroad
Immerse yourself in British history and explore the streets walked by figures who shaped that history in Lawrence’s London Centre program.
Explore History Outcomes
Developing the skills of a historian paves the way for graduate study and a wide array of careers from policy making and research to archives management to business and more.
On Any Given Day...
...discover an array of opportunities that await you at Lawrence University.
The best way to find out if Lawrence is the university for you is by visiting.