International Student Services seeks 7-10 upper class students to serve as International Orientation Leaders and Summer International Connection Mentors. APPLICATION DEADLINE:
About the position
Orientation week: Mentors will serve as a student leader during international orientation (September 2 - September 10). The international orientation leader helps new international students adjust to campus, learn about resources, and help to facilitate the orientation program. In addition, orientation leaders serve as a source of information about campus, learning about the United States and Appleton, Wisconsin, and learning how to navigate curricular and co-curricular options at Lawrence University.
During the summer: New students will communicate with their mentors over the summer to ask any questions and will spend time with them during International Orientation and at the "International Connections Dinner" after school begins (DATE/TIME TBD). It is expected mentors will contact their mentees every other week and as needed.
First week: Attend and facilitate the "International Connections Dinner" during First Week (DATE/TIME TBD).
Compensation: Volunteer position (unpaid), volunteer hours on co-curricular record. Room and board will be provided between September 1 - September 10.
Arrival date: Must arrive to campus on September 1 or 2.
Expected workload and time commitment: Approximately 1-2 hours/week over summer and fall term. Required for special events happening from September 2 - 10. Arrival September 1 or September 2. Dinner on (DATE/TIME TBD).
Upper class students, if you are interested in serving as an International Orientation Leader, and arriving to campus two weeks prior to classes, please complete the following form. Expectations of mentors include:
- Communicating with incoming freshmen via email or social media approximately once every couple weeks for the whole summer.
- Participating during International Orientation (September 2 - September 10)
- Attending the International Connections Dinner.
- Being willing and able to get to know and support new international students in formal and informal settings.
- Answering any questions about curricular and co-curricular options at Lawrence.
- Referring students to the ISS Office if needed.
- Completing the alcohol awareness on-line training (if you have not already) so you can support incoming freshmen who are required to take the training.
- Completing sexual assault awareness on-line training (if you have not already) so you can support and refer to appropriate resources during your mentoring duties.
Contact email@example.com with any questions.