Registration on the Lawrence University Network is necessary in order to access the Internet, printers and shared document folders across campus. Follow this guide sequentially to successfully register your personal computer.
STEP 1: Wireless Connection
There are several secure wireless local area networks (WLAN) on campus. Student devices connect to the LUwireless network.
- In Start – Swipe right to left and tap on Settings
- Tap on the Wireless Icon.
- Select LUwireless and tap on the Connect button.
- Username and Password field will pop-up. Enter your Lawrence Network username in the Username field. In the Password field enter you Lawrence Network (LU email) password.
- You will get a Windows can’t verify the server’s Identity message. Tap on the Connect button.
Note: you will not have full internet access until you complete the rest of the process below.
STEP 2: Update AntiVirus
All Windows 8 computers come with Windows Defender, which is a free antivirus.
Note: If you have another antivirus installed you will need to update that Antivirus’ definitions or uninstall it and activate Windows Defender in Action Center.
Note: LU provided Antivirus will not work with Windows 8.
- In Start – Swipe up from the bottom and tap All apps
- Scroll to the right and Tap on Windows Defender.
- Windows Defender will open. Select the Update tab and tap on Update.
STEP 3: Update Your Operating System
All computers must have current operating system software in order to register on the LU Network. Follow these steps to ensure your operating system has the latest software updates. (Note: Although you will not have access to the majority of the Internet until your computer is registered, you WILL have access to operating system updates.)
- In Start – Swipe right to left and tap on Settings.
- Tap on Change PC settings
- Select Windows Update
- You will need to plug in your device for these updates.
- On the right side of the screen tap on Check for updates now
- Tap on the purple text and select Install.
- The computer may reboot after updates are complete. Repeat steps 4 and 5 until a message comes up saying there are no more updates.
STEP 4: Network Registration
- From Desktop
- Open an Internet Browser (such as Internet Explorer – recommended – or Firefox).
- A security page will appear. If using Internet Explorer, tap Continue to this Website (not recommended). If using Firefox, tap Add an Exception. Tap Get certificate. Tap Confirm security exception.
- A Lawrence University Network introduction page will appear. After you have read the information on the page, tap Continue.
- Select the first link, "Personal device registration for Lawrence University students".
- A Lawrence Terms and Agreement page will appear. You must read and agree to the terms by tapping I Agree in order to continue with your computer registration.
- Select wireless laptop for the type of connection. Enter your Username and Password* and tap Continue.
- A download window will appear. Choose to save the file to your Desktop and tap Save.
- Run the saved Download.
- A Windows protected your PC prompt will appear. Tap More info.
- Another prompt will appear. Tap on Run anyway.
Your computer will be scanned for required software by Bradford. Once the scan is complete, either a success page or a failure page will appear. If the failure page appears, tap on the link to see how to resolve the failure. If the success page appears, you have successfully completed registration.
Note: If your computer is found to be interfering with the LU Network or spreading viruses, it will be disconnected from the network until the problem is resolved. Contact the Helpdesk for assistance.