All students who intend to take Spanish must take the placement test, unless they have AP/IB or relevant transfer credit.
PLACEMENT EXAM INSTRUCTIONS
1. Go to the Spanish exam
2. You'll be prompted to create an account on the TrueNorth web site
3. Enter your first and last name, Lawrence email, and ID.
6. Create a password for yourself (do NOT use your Lawrence password)
8. Take the test and save your score and course recommendation
Score -> Course Recommendation
Below 296 -> Spanish 101
296 - 355 -> Spanish 102
356 - 439 -> Spanish 201
440 - 526 -> Spanish 202
above 526 -> Spanish 300-level (advanced)
How can I satisfy the language competency requirement in Spanish?
A. Through coursework:
- For B.A. and double-degree students: completion of SPAN 201.
- For B.Mus. students: completion of SPAN 102.
Students who never studied Spanish, as well as those who studied Spanish for 1-6 years before college, must take the online placement exam and register for the recommended course: SPAN 101, SPAN 102 or SPAN 201.
Students who place into SPAN 101 can take the full sequence during the academic year (i.e fall: SPAN 101-> winter: SPAN 102 -> spring: SPAN 201).
Transfer students who took Spanish courses at their former college should email the Chair of Spanish to ask about equivalences.
B. Through an examination
- If you are a native or heritage speaker or an advanced second-language learner of Spanish, and you have not taken an AP, IB, CLEP or SAT II exam in high school, you may take a special exam that evaluates your oral, written and cultural competency in Spanish. Contact the Chair of Spanish if you are interested in this option.
- If you have taken an AP, IB (HL), CLEP or SAT II exam, submit to the Registrar:
- a minimum score of 4 on the AP Spanish Language and Culture exam. Credit equivalent to 6-unit course SPAN 202, which fulfills one course requirement toward the Spanish major or minor.
- a minimum score of 4 on the AP Spanish Literature exam. Credit equivalent to 6-unit course SPAN 320, which fulfills one requirement toward the Spanish major or minor.
- a minimum score of 6 on the IB Spanish exam at the Higher Level (HL). Credit equivalent to 6-unit course SPAN 202, which fulfills one course requirement toward the Spanish major or minor.
- a minimum CLEP score of 63 for B.A. students and 52 for B.Mus. students.
- a score of 630 or higher on the SAT Subject Spanish or Spanish with Listening exam.
NOTE that only taking SPAN 200/201 or submitting the required score in AP or IB (HL) exams carry academic credit. All other options satisfy the language requirement but do not carry academic credit.
Spanish majors and minors are advised to complete the language competency GER in Spanish during their freshman year. Spanish 100-200 level courses may not be taken S/U.