If you plan to take Spanish (including SPAN 101), you must take the online placement test (20-30 min.):
2. Select Lawrence University from the drop down menu at the top.
3. Enter password: vikings1
4. Select language: Spanish
This will take you to the test registration form.
Instructions to fill out the test registration form:
If you are already a Lawrence student with an official ID #, enter this number and your Lawrence email in the appropriate boxes.
If you are an incoming or high school student, just type new student in the ID box and enter your personal email address in the email box.
This test is only for placement. It carries no academic credit. The score comes with a specific course recommendation.
You may take the test on your own and there is no time limit. Please contact Prof. Tapia at email@example.com if there are circumstances that justify a retake (for example, technical problems) or if you have any questions.
SATISFYING THE SECOND LANGUAGE COMPETENCY REQUIREMENT:
Lawrence has a modern language competency requirement for graduation.
For Spanish, this means successful completion of SPAN 201 (or the summer intensive SPAN 200) for students pursuing a Bachelor of Arts, and SPAN 102 for Bachelor of Music candidates.
How can I satisfy the requirement?
- Passing a SPANISH 200-level class. Beginners can take SPAN 101, 102 and 201 in sequence (or the 18-unit intensive summer course, SPAN 200). Always follow the recommendation accompanying your online placement score.
- Taking a written and oral competency examination in Spanish. (Contact the Spanish Dept. for scheduling this exam.)
- A score equivalent to the second-year level on the CLEP examination in Spanish (63 and above). A CLEP score at the one-year level of competency is sufficient for Bachelor of Music students (52-63).
- A score of 630 or higher on the SAT Subject Spanish or Spanish with Listening exam.
- A score of 4 or 5 on the Advanced Placement (AP) examination in Spanish Language and Culture exam. Credit equivalent to one 6-unit course at the SPAN 202 level.
- A score of 4 or 5 on the Advanced Placement (AP) examination in Spanish Literature. Credit equivalent to one 6-unit course at the SPAN 300 level and it fulfills one course requirement toward the Spanish major or minor.
- A score of 6 or higher on the Spanish International Baccalaureate Examination at the advanced level. Carries credit equivalent to one 6-unit course at the SPAN 202 level.
PLEASE NOTE: Lawrence University does not conduct the CLEP, SAT II, AP, or IBO examinations. Options 1-4 do not carry academic credit.
Spanish majors and minors are advised to complete the language competency GER in Spanish during their freshman year. Spanish 100-200 level courses may not be taken S/U.