Students who major in music will acquire:
a. Technical skills requisite for artistic self-expression in at least one major performance area at a level appropriate for the particular music concentration.
b. An overview understanding of the repertory in their major performance area and the ability to perform from a cross-section of that repertory.
c. The ability to read at sight with fluency demonstrating both general musicianship and, in the major performance area, a level of skill relevant to professional standards appropriate for the particular music concentration.
d. Knowledge and skills sufficient to work as a leader and in collaboration on matters of musical interpretation. Rehearsal and conducting skills are required as appropriate to the particular music concentration.
e. Keyboard competency.
f. Growth in artistry, technical skills, collaborative competence and knowledge of repertory through regular ensemble experiences.
The major requires 90 units in music, to include:
- Music theory: 30 units
- MUTH 151, 161, and 171 or MUTH 201, 211, and 221
- MUTH 152, 162, and 172 or MUTH 202, 212, and 222
- MUTH 251, 261, and 271
- MUTH 252, 262, and 272
- MUTH 301, 311, and 321
- Musicology: 18 units
- MUCO 201, 202 (12 units)
- 6 units in courses numbered 400 or above
- 18 units minimum of applied individual instruction. 6 consecutive terms of study are required
- 5 units: MURP 271, 272, 273, 274, 275 for students whose primary instrument is voice
- Students must complete a qualifying examination
- Students must participate in either individual or ensemble performance study in each term in which they are in residence on the Appleton campus
- Ensemble: 6 units minimum of ensemble performance study. A maximum of 9 units of ensemble performance study may apply to the major
- Keyboard skills: 3 units MURP 201, 202, 203 or 2 units MURP 301, 302 or demonstrated proficiency
- Additional electives in music to total 90 units
- An approved lecture, lecture/recital, or senior project must be presented during the last three terms of study at Lawrence
Please refer to the Conservatory Handbook and departmental handbooks for other regulations and information on the major in music. In addition to the 90 units in music, students must complete 126 units in disciplines other than music, including all requirements for the B.A. degree (see "Degree and General Education Requirements").