Please note: The information displayed here is current as of Saturday, January 18, 2020, but the official Course Catalog should be used for all official planning.
2019-2020 Course Catalog
Required for the minor in Latin American studies
Students must take six courses (at least 36 units), including:
- Core requirements: 2 courses (normally 12 units), from the following list:
- ECON 203: Latin American Economic Development
- HIST 178: Colonial Latin American History
- HIST 179: Modern Latin American History 1821-Present
- HIST 371: The Rise and Fall of American Empires
- HIST 374/SPAN 570: Visions of the Conquest
- HIST 378/ETST 325: Ethnicity in Latin America
- HIST 422: Revolt and Revolution in Latin America
- HIST 476: Top: Disasters That Made The Americas
- SPAN 320: Introduction to Literary Texts
- SPAN 425, 426/ARHI 270, 271: Latin American Visual Art
- SPAN 430: Introduction to Film
- SPAN 466: Latin@ Studies
- SPAN 521: Latin American Literature
- SPAN 577: Space as Text
- SPAN 580: Dis(re)membering the Nation: Contemporary Film & Fiction of Spain and Latin America
- SPAN 585: Buenos Aires
- Electives: 4 courses (normally 24 units). Elective courses from other disciplines must allow students to focus their individual work on Latin America, and such work must count for at least 25 percent of the final grade for the course. Course content can change from term to term; therefore, when choosing electives, it is the responsibility of the student to speak to the professor to confirm that 25 percent of the graded work can be based on Latin American themes. Courses not included on this list may be used as electives provided they meet the above requirements.
- Conservatory courses with consent of the instructor and of one of the Program co-chairs.
- Up to one internship.
- Only up to six units can be from an independent study or tutorial (550 level).
- Only up to a maximum of 18 units can be from any single discipline (including cross-listed courses).
- Only up to a maximum of 18 units can be from the student's major/minor.
- Only up to two courses can be from under the 200 level.
- At least 60 percent of the units must be taken on the Appleton campus.