Sustainable Lawrence is a campus-wide initiative that involves students, faculty, and staff members who want to help foster a culture of sustainability on campus and help us achieve our sustainability goals for the future.
The official entities within Sustainable Lawrence include:
Sustainability Coordinator: Oversees and plans the implementation of sustainability programs and various projects on campus.
University's Sustainability Steering Committee (SSC): Works to instill a culture of sustainable long-range planning throughout the University by promoting sustainability in planning, development, and operation of the campus environment and facilities.
LUCC Sustainability Committee: Serves as liaison between LUCC, student organizations, and the SSC and plans sustainability events and programs for students.
Environmental student organizations: Student-led groups at Lawrence who focus on different environmental issues such as waste, environmental justice, community engagement, and more.
- Waste: Increase waste diversion rate (diverting waste from landfills) by 16%
- Food: Source 30% of food locally
- Transportation: Increase percentage of students, faculty, and staff that use public or alternative forms as primary form of transportation
- Energy: Reduce net greenhouse gas emissions by 15%
- Water: Reduce campus-wide water usage by 10%
- Buildings: Operate and maintain campus buildings in accordance with published university sustainable operations maintenance guidelines
- Grounds: Follow landscape management program which reduces invasive species, exogenous chemicals, and water use
Lawrentians are working hard to make campus a more sustainable place. Read more about what we are doing in different areas of the university!
Lawrence University's AASHE STARS Report
The Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education (AASHE) facilitates the Sustainability Tracking, Assessment & Rating System (STARS), a transparent, self-reporting framework for colleges and universities to measure their sustainability performance. See how Lawrence University is doing by reading our most recent report!