How to Apply
There are several steps involved in applying to the B.Mus. in Theory/Composition. You must be admitted to the Conservatory on your primary instrument and at the same time apply for the Composition Scholarship.
1. Complete the Common Application, Lawrence Supplement, and submit an academic teacher recommendation, school report, transcript, and test scores (optional).
2. Schedule an audition on your primary instrument, complete a music resume and submit a music teacher evaluation.
3. Apply for the Composition Scholarship.
Generous Composition Scholarships are awarded competetively to accomplished student composers who are planning to pursue the Bachelor of Music in Theory/Composition. To apply, applicants must submit, in hard copy, a composition portfolio along with their application to Lawrence University. This portfolio must include the following:
• Three musical scores; recordings of the submitted works are highly recommended, but not required.
• A statement of your compositional interests and goals.
• A list of compositions that includes completion dates and a list of public performances or readings.
Composition Scholarship awardees are expected to begin composition lessons in the freshman year and to complete the B.Mus. in Theory/Composition.