Dear Parents & Guardians,
On behalf of the Career Services staff, I would like to extend a welcome to families of our new and returning students!
To assist all Lawrentians in achieving a satisfying and meaningful life, Career Services’ goal is to provide your student a comprehensive program which supports the relationship between academics and career discernment and planning. This is demonstrated by many of the 93% of the 2016 graduates who are currently employed or furthering their education.
Jusuf Sarancic '16 is a good example, in that he studied the cross-cultural educational system in diverse democracies while at Lawrence. His passion for international affairs landed him a position in Chicago with Kivvit as an Associate where he advises clients by providing innovative public affairs strategies. Another example is Elana Lambert '17, who studied the impact of institutions towards broader individual happiness and subsequently took a position in Minneapolis as a Catalyze College Coach with College Possible. In this role, Elana ensures college students establish successful academic skills to have a satisfying college experience.
Highlighted below are some programs and events that we will be offering this term to bridge the connections between our students’ current academic interests and their future interests.
- Our F-1 VISA holding sophomores and juniors will, once again, be eligible to apply for the Lawrence International Alumni Mentoring Program. Approximately, 10 students will be selected and matched with an international mentor who has successfully navigated employment in the U.S. Deadline to apply is September 29th.
- An expanded Lawrence Scholars in Business (LSB) Alumni Mentoring Program and Award – a maximum of 15 sophomores and juniors will be selected to receive training and mentoring from a group of well-established alumni mentors working in a diverse array of businesses. In addition, a small subset will be granted funding assistance for a summer internship. Deadline to apply is October 6th.
- All majors and years are invited to join the annual networking and immersion LSB Midterm Reading Period Trip to Chicago. Deadline to register is October 11th.
- To help seniors jumpstart their Life after Lawrence, we will be collaborating with alumni and company representatives to offer Strategies for Career Success. Back by popular demand is the session, Managing your Money and Repaying Loans.
- To encourage first years to jumpstart their discernment process, we continue to offer First Year Visits.
- Multiple campus visits by alumni and recruiters from places such as the Fox Valley Symphony Orchestra, Cisco Systems, Emory’s Chandler School of Theology, Marine Corps Band, Natural Resources Foundation of WI and more!
In addition, we are excited to announce that we have convened a Life after Lawrence taskforce of students, faculty, alumni, administration and community partners to further explore our offerings. It is chaired by three Board of Trustee members and includes the following committees: 1.) Curriculum, Learning and Discernment 2.) Lawrence and the World of Work and 3.) Supporting Students of all Backgrounds. Watch for future updates!
As always, we are pleased to be a resource for all students as they transition through college. If you are able, we welcome any opportunities for internships or employment that you could share with us. Thank you for encouraging your student to utilize our space as a means of discernment and professional development.
All the best,