Dear Parents & Guardians:
Our student body consists of individuals from down the street in the Fox Cities to around the world, and each student arrives with a unique set of experiences, interests and goals. However, common to all students is the need to explore (in tandem with their academic pursuits) options for their Life After Lawrence NOW. Regardless of where a student is in the exploration process, we are here to help! If your student visits us early and often, we are able to build a deep relationship on an individual basis which allows for customized coaching through discovery of interests and planning for summer and beyond.
For those wondering about the world of “business” or “arts & entertainment,” the following trips* will occur over the Fall Midterm Reading period:
• Lawrence Scholars in Business (open to students of any class year and any major, including those who are still deciding) will be visiting alumni at their workplaces in Chicago.
• Talent Upload, specifically targeting our math and computer science juniors and seniors, will visit a number of the country’s top employers in the Fox Cities who are looking for interns and
• Lawrence Scholars in Arts & Entertainment (open to students of any class year and any major, including those who are still deciding) will be visiting alumni at their workplaces in Minneapolis.
*All expenses paid, except for one breakfast and one dinner on the Lawrence Scholars trips.
According to the National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE) 2014 Job Outlook, “74% of employers preferred to hire candidates with relevant work experience.” Our targeted outreach and events support the relationship between academic planning and career planning within a liberal arts environment:
• flexible scheduling for 1:1 appointments
• customized communications based on identified areas of possible interests
• weekly internship emails and social media promoting the importance of internships and participating in on-campus recruiting events
Kimberly-Clark, Weidert Group, Teach For America and Rush University College of Nursing are just a few of the organizations interested in our students! For a complete listing of this term’s events, please refer to our Fall Term Career Services booklet.
Once again, we are pleased to offer funding for internships through Lawrence Scholars in Business (application deadline is October 3) and the Great Lakes Career Ready Internship Grant (rolling application deadline). Students should visit Career Services for more information about eligibility and application criteria.
We hope you will encourage your student(s) to take time to explore and discover new things about themselves by visiting us. The team in Career Services, joined by our very strong alumni base around the world, look forward to continuing the journey with your son or daughter!