Welcome to the website of the Lawrence University Saxophone Studio!
You can use the menu on the left to:
- read about activities and events of our students, faculty, alumni and guest artists
- learn about our comprehensive program in saxophone performance and pedagogy
- listen to and view recordings of our performances
- discover opportunities for saxophone study and performance at the Lawrence Conservatory
- learn about funding available to saxophone students for travel, study and special projects
- read about auditioning for admission to the Lawrence University Saxophone Studio
The saxophone program at Lawrence provides opportunity for saxophonists to study at a nationally recognized conservatory of music and selective liberal arts college. Through its annual auditions, the Saxophone Studio enrolls approximately twenty students from all regions of the United States. Since Lawrence University specializes in the education of undergraduates, all saxophone instruction is provided by members of the faculty.
Saxophone students may select majors in:
- saxophone performance: classical, or classical with a jazz emphasis
- music education
- saxophone performance with a minor in pedagogy
- student-designed majors such as woodwind performance
Many students elect to combine majors in the Conservatory of Music or complete two degrees -- one in the Conservatory and one in the college of liberal arts and sciences -- through Lawrence's distinctive double-degree program.
All saxophone students at Lawrence may:
- study with all of the saxophone faculty
- participate in weekly performance classes
- complete a full-year course in saxophone techniques and performance practice
- complete a course in saxophone pedagogy, after which they may teach lessons to pre-college students through the Lawrence Academy of Music
We invite you to write to us to discuss your interest in saxophone study at Lawrence University.
Sumner Truax, Instructor of Saxophone; firstname.lastname@example.org
Steven Jordheim, Professor of Saxophone; email@example.com
José Encarnción, Instructor of Jazz Saxophone; firstname.lastname@example.org