Students can study and experience music through many different ways at Lawrence, whether it is in our Bachelor of Music program, Bachelor of Arts in Music program, our flagship double-degree Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor Music program, our brand new Bachelor of Musical Arts program, or simply performing in ensembles while pursuing a non-music major. No matter what your musical and academic goals are, Lawrence will work with you to achieve them all. Explore the Conservatory of Music website to find out how you might find a place in music at Lawrence.
How to Apply to the Conservatory
In order to register for an audition for the Lawrence Conservatory of Music, please follow these steps:
- Complete an application to Lawrence using the Common Application or the Lawrence Application.
- Register for an audition and submit your music supplemental items (music resume and music teacher recommendation). Once your application is submitted along with your supplemental documents, you will receive an email with a link within 24 hours to register for an audition. You can also register for an audition through your Application Status Page.
- Complete an on-campus audition, regional audition, or submit a self-recorded audition by the deadline that corresponds with your application timeline. (i.e. If you applied to our Early Action 1 or Early Decision deadline, you must audition on or by November 2.)
- Once you have submitted your application and completed your audition, you will receive one Lawrence admission decision to the degree program you applied.
Use the tabs to the left to find out more about audition requirements for your instrument, audition dates, and frequently asked questions.
SPECIAL NOTE FOR STUDENTS USING OUR EARLY ACTION 1 OR EARLY DECISION APPLICATION DEADLINE:
In order for us to have ample time to schedule your audition and prepare for your visit to campus, you must submit your application to Lawrence by October 29 (or much earlier!). Once you've submitted your application, you will get an email with a link to sign up for your audition. Do not wait to sign up for your audition as audition slots will fill up quickly!
Please reach out to Kate Bittner, Director of Conservatory Admissions, with any questions or concerns at email@example.com.
**If you are an international student who would like to pursue a music degree, please make sure to use the international admissions checklist when applying.
What We Consider
Common Application or the Lawrence Application (we accept either)
- Letter of Recommendation (from an academic teacher)
- Test scores (if you wish, as we are test optional)
- Interview (recommended, not required)
In addition, all music applicants must:
- Schedule and complete an audition
- Submit a music resume
- Submit a music teacher recommendation
All above materials must be submitted by the chosen application deadline.
Students are required to complete an application before registering for an audition. Auditions are required if you:
- plan on pursuing any of our degree options with a major in music (including a Bachelor of Arts with a major in Music - Music-B.A.)
- plan on majoring in something other than music and are interested in our Ensemble Award
Auditions are recommended if you are considering:
- a music minor
- private lessons or participating in ensembles
Visit our Music Scholarships page for additional requirements for scholarships and awards.
A music resume details your musical experiences such as solo and ensemble, master classes, summer festivals, private lessons, competitions, etc. You can either complete our resume form below, or simply use it as a guide to get started on your own music resume. Your resume is due by the application deadline.
Music Teacher Recommendation
In addition to your academic teacher recommendation, you will also submit a music teacher recommendation. This letter of recommendation can be completed by your private music teacher, high school music teacher, or other teacher who can best speak to your musical abilities.
After you submit your application to Lawrence, the teacher you listed as a reference will receive an e-mail with our link to submit a music teacher evaluation. Your evaluation is due by the application deadline.