The Board of Trustees held its spring meeting from May 16-18 on the Lawrence University campus in Appleton, WI. Ahead of the meeting, the Board was provided with materials to prepare for conversations on campus. Included in the materials were administrative reports from the president’s cabinet and the observers representing the Faculty Governance Committee, the Lawrence University Community Council (LUCC) and Lawrence University Alumni Association (LUAA).
The meeting began with a reception and dinner with students on Wednesday, May 16. The topic of the discussion was the experience of student-athletes at Lawrence. Many of the students noted that they wanted athletics to be a part of their college experience. They felt that Lawrence offered the academic experience they were looking for with the added opportunity to be a part of a team. Students talked positively about the relationships they had built with their teammates and coaches and how these relationships had come to shape their college experience. It was mentioned that there were difficulties in the Alexander Gym and the Wellness Center being located on opposite sides of the river. Some felt that there could be better communication and support from teams that use the differing facilities. Some also mentioned that there was room for improvement in terms of the quality of the facilities and equipment, but that this had not impacted their decision to choose Lawrence. In attendance were student-athletes from numerous athletic teams, committee chairs and the executive board, trustees, members of the president’s cabinet, and observers.
During the meeting, reports were delivered by the President and Chair of the Board. The board reviewed current enrollment data and data illustrating where it would make sense for Lawrence to deepen its market presence beyond core markets of Chicago, Minneapolis, Milwaukee, Madison, and the Fox Valley. As of May of 2018, enrollment activity had increased compared to the previous year at the same time. The Board approved of a new degree, the Bachelor of Musical Arts in Jazz and Contemporary Improvisation, to be granted at Lawrence. Additionally, the Board approved the 2019 budget.
In the course of the meeting, the Board:
• Approved the election of the Class of 2021 Term Trustees for terms ending June 30, 2021.
• Approval of the re-appointment of Non-Trustee Committee Members for two-year terms beginning July 1, 2018.
• Approved the election of the Officers of the Board.
• Approved the election of Quoc Bao Nguyen Ha ‘07 as a Recent Graduate Trustee.
• Approved the election of Sidney K. Ayabe ’67 as a Term Trustee.
• Approved the election of Christopher W. Murray ’75 as a Term Trustee.
• Approved the election of Dennis L. Klaeser ’80 as a Term Trustee.
• Approved the election of Barbara Smith Lawton ’87 as a Term Trustee.
• Approved the election of Dean G. DuMonthier ’88 as a Term Trustee.
• Approved the appointment of Jeffrey A. Fox ’72 as a Non-Trustee Committee Member of the Development Committee.
• Approved the appointment of J. Terrence Franke ’68 as a Non-Trustee Committee Member of the Investment Committee.
• Approved of the appointment of Jason Spaeth ’92 as a Non-Trustee Committee Member of the Investment Committee.
The next meeting of the Board is scheduled for November 1-3, 2018 on the Lawrence University campus in Appleton, WI.