Please note: The information displayed here is current as of Monday, May 27, 2019, but the official Course Catalog should be used for all official planning.
This catalog was created on Monday, May 27, 2019.
The minor in education studies provides students in the college and conservatory with the opportunity to pursue focused inquiry into the philosophical, cultural, and social foundations of education; the historical and present-day relationship between school and society; the part formal education plays in human development; and/or contemporary issues of education policy and practice. The minor will help prepare students for graduate study or work in education-related fields.
Required for the education studies minor
- Three foundational courses:
- EDST 180: Psychology of Learning
- EDST 350: Ethnicity, Cultural Diversity and Education
- And one of the following:
- EDST 310: Ethics and Education
- EDST 315: Philosophy of Children
- Two (2) courses in education studies from among the following, at least one of which must be at the 400 level or above:
- EDST 309: Hollywood Goes to High School
- EDST 345: Distributed Cognition
- EDST 380: Engaging in Action Research
- EDST 400: The Environment, Community and Education
- EDST 440: Sociology of Education
- EDST 450: Topics in Education Studies (can be repeated as topics vary)
- EDST 545: Gesture Studies
- An independent study (EDST 399/599)
- An academic internship (EDST 395/595)
- Either Developmental Psychology (PSYC 260/265) or Adolescent Psychology (PSYC 460).
Possible settings for internships include but are not limited to: public, private, or charter schools; school district offices; museum or arts organizations; other non-profit or community organizations; social services agencies; governmental bodies; policy or advocacy groups; and other approved sites. Students seeking teacher certification may also complete the education studies minor, but student teaching may not be used to fulfill the internship or independent study requirement, nor may the internship substitute for the classroom practicum hours required prior to student teaching.