Where is Wellness Services?

Wellness Services is located on the second floor of Buchanan Kiewit Wellness Center. 

How do I make a counseling appointment?

Students may stop by the Wellness Center to schedule initial appointments. Return appointments are usually scheduled by you and your counselor.

Whom do I contact after hours in a mental health crisis or emergency?

For immediate help, call 911.

  • Security:  920-832-6999.
  • Residence Hall Director on duty:  920-419-6596.
  • Lawrence University 24 hour Crisis Line: 920-419-8167.
  • Outagamie County Crisis Intervention (24 hour local crisis helpline) at 920-832-4646.
  • National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255.

When is counseling available?

Counseling appointments are scheduled Monday through Friday. Normal appointment times are from 8 a.m.–5 p.m. Monday through Friday. Walk-in check-in is from 1-2:30 p.m. every day and is reserved for urgent psychological concerns.

How long will I have to wait for an appointment to see a counselor?

That is likely to depend on the time of the school year, the urgency of your concerns, your schedule, and preference you might have to see a particular counselor. We offer next available appointments to students.

What should I expect when I come for my first counseling appointment?

Prior to scheduling your first appointment you will be asked to complete intake forms with Wellness Services. Once your intake forms are completed and reviewed, an appointment will be scheduled. 

What kinds of initial paperwork forms are required?

The paperwork consist of a contact information sheet, a brief consent form, a questionnaire asking about your personal history and reasons for counseling, and a symptom checklist of your feelings and outlook. These are only required prior to your first scheduled appointment of the school year.

What if I already filled out forms at Wellness Services last year?

We ask students to complete new forms every year to help us better understand current situations and concerns.

What happens to the intake forms after I fill them out?

They are kept on a secure Wellness Services server that is accessible only to the counselors. Certain limited ITS staff members maintain the technical aspects of the program, but do not work with any identifiable client data. Intake forms as well as counselors’ notes are destroyed no less than 7 years after your departure from Lawrence University. They are not part of your educational record and cannot be accessed without your specific permission. No counseling records are contained in any academic, educational, or job placement file.

How confidential is counseling?

If you provide information related to child physical or sexual abuse, it may be necessary to work with the proper authorities for the protection of the minor.  Additionally, in rare cases a court order from a judge may require the counselor to disclose information.