It is recommended that you have a minimum of three professional references when applying to jobs and internships. Consider asking former/current supervisors, professors, academic advisors, contacts from volunteer work, mentors and coaches. Always ask permission from a reference before listing them. If they agree, ask how they would prefer to be contacted (i.e. cell phone, work phone, e-mail, etc.) It is also helpful to send them a current résumé along with the description of the position(s) for which you are applying. Make sure to keep them updated on your job search status.
Tips on formatting your reference page:
- Create a separate document for your references. They should not be included in your résumé.
- Use the same heading as your résumé.
- The style and size of font should also match your résumé.
- Either left align or center your text.
- Include the reference's name, position title, organization name, address, telephone number and email address.
- It is not necessary to include "References available upon request" on your résumé. Employers know to ask for references and will likely do so in the application process.
NOTE: Do not send your references with an application unless the employer specifically requests them.