Below are some common questions to help you practice for your interview. Keep in mind that this list is not comprehensive and you may be asked other questions during your interview. It is also a good idea to do some research to find questions specific to your field or the position for which you are applying. One helpful resource is glassdoor.com. Career Services and Lawrence Alumni in your field are other great resources!
- Tell me about yourself.
- How would a friend/professor/supervisor describe you?
- What are your greatest strengths?
- What would you say is an area in which you need improvement?
- What are your qualifications for this position?
- Why should we hire you instead of another qualified candidate?
- What else should I know about you?
- What college subjects did you like best? Least?
- If you had the chance to repeat your college career, what would you do differently? Why?
- Describe your most rewarding college experience.
- How has your education prepared you for this job?
- Do you have plans to continue your education?
- Describe a time you felt under pressure and how you handled it.
- Describe the last time you made a mistake. How did you deal with it?
- How will you prepare for the transition from college to the workplace?
- Why did you decide to attend Lawrence University?
- What led you to choose your major?
- Why did you choose to enter this occupational field?
- What have you learned from participating in extra-curricular activities?
Thinking on Your Feet
- What was the last book you read/movie you saw?
- Define teamwork/success, etc.
- If you could be a type of fruit, what kind would you be and why?
- Describe an ideal work environment
- Tell me about your part-time or summer jobs.
- How was your relationship with your past supervisor?
- How has your experience prepared you for a job with this organization?
- What did you enjoy most from your last job? Least?
- What did you learn from your most recent job?
- Do you prefer to work with others or alone?
- What kind of supervision style do you prefer?
- What would you like to be doing five years from now?
- What are your long and short-term career goals?
- How will this position fit with your long-term career goals?
- What do you know about our organization?
- Why did you decide to seek a position with this organization?
- In what ways can you contribute to our organization?
- How long do you plan to stay with our organization?
- What salary range do you anticipate for this position?