The purpose of the President’s Committee on Diversity Affairs is to foster diversity in the Lawrence community and curriculum and to help create a more inclusive campus community. Diversity brings us into contact with different experiences and perspectives, helping us to question our beliefs and assumptions. An inclusive community, one that welcomes people of all backgrounds, experiences, and identities (or expressions of identity), is necessary for diversity to serve as a catalyst for learning. Lawrence seeks to include people of all nationalities, ethnicities, gender identities, sexual orientations, socioeconomic statuses, cultural backgrounds, religions, abilities or disabilities, ages, military/veteran status, and others who bring varied perspectives to campus.
To accomplish its purpose, the President’s Committee on Diversity Affairs will strive to promote in the Lawrence community:
• a campus demographic reflective of the U.S. and world’s pluralistic society;
• an environment conducive to attracting and retaining students, faculty, and staff of historically underrepresented groups;
• a curriculum that considers diversity and its implications for contemporary life;
• a co-curricular program that fosters inclusion and celebrates diversity; and
• a climate of respect for different identities and points of view.
Chaired by: The Vice President for Diversity and Inclusion
Number of Student Members: two student representatives from the LUCC Committee on Diversity Affairs.
Purpose*: To foster diversity in the Lawrence community and curriculum and to help create a more inclusive campus community.