Welcome to the Lawrence Academy of Music!
Founded in 1874, the Academy of Music is a nonprofit division of Lawrence University that seeks to provide outstanding musical opportunities for citizens of all ages in northeast Wisconsin. Click here for more information on each of our music programs, including private lessons, classes, ensembles, and summer camps. Please refer to the navigation menu to the left (or top on mobile) to further explore our website.
If you would like to be added to our mailing list or are interested in private lessons, please click the button below to fill out an interest form.
Click the buttons below to read through our announcements. You can also click here to view our calendar of upcoming events.
The Academy office will be closed Friday, May 24 through Monday, May 27 for Memorial Day weekend. We will reopen on the 28th at 8:30 a.m.
Earlier this year, Mrs. Cheryl Meyer announced her retirement from the Girl Choir program and teaching Allegretto after 27 years of service to the program. Mr. Marty O’Donnell will also be stepping down from his four year position as the Symphonic Band teacher-conductor to enjoy being a new father later this spring. We are incredibly grateful for their service and wish them well in their new chapters in life.
Today, it is our pleasure to announce our new teacher-conductors for our Allegretto Girl Choir and Symphonic Band:
Mari (Panzer) Card, B.Mus., Allegretto Girl Choir
Caitlynn (Winkler) Acy '15, B.Mus., Symphonic Band
Please join us in thanking Mrs. Meyer and Mr. O'Donnell for their dedication to our Academy ensembles and in welcoming Mrs. Card and Mrs. Acy to our Academy teaching staff!
Our Balinese Gamelan students and the LU gamelan students will perform together in a spring concert at the end of May. The concert will include meditative traditional ceremonial pieces and vibrant contemporary works by Balinese composers.
- Date: Monday, May 27
- Time: 3:00 p.m.
- Location: Stansbury Theatre, Lawrence Conservatory of Music
- Admission: Free and open to the public
The Academy is pleased to announce it's 2019 summer camp and workshop offerings; click the links below for more information and to register. Registration closes June 1.
- Showing Off! - June 17-21
- for high school students with prior musical theatre experience
- Beginning Broadway - July 22-26
- for middle school students with any musical theatre experience and high school students with no prior experience
- Showing Off! - June 17-21
Summer Chamber Music Camp - July 8-12
for students ages 11-18 performing at WSMA level A or B
Registration is currently open for the following programs. Click on the program names for more information.
- summer classes for children from birth to 5 years old
- summer classes for those ages 1-adult
- 2019-20 ensemble for students in grades 3-5 who identify as female and wish to sing
- summer 2019 offerings for string students and students interested in musical theatre
- 2019-20 ensemble for students in grades 7-12 with at least 2 years of experience on their instrument
Report an Absence
- To report an absence from an ensemble, please click here to fill out the Ensemble Absence form.
- To report an absence from a private lesson, please communicate directly with your instructor.