Registration on the Lawrence University Network is necessary in order to access the Internet, printers and shared document folders across campus. Follow this guide sequentially to successfully register your personal computer.
STEP 1: Wireless Connection
There are several secure wireless local area networks (WLAN) on campus. Student devices connect to the LUwireless network.
- In Start – Move the Cursor to the top right corner of the screen and click on Settings
- Click on the Wireless Icon.
- Select LUwireless and click on the Connect button.
- Username and Password field will pop-up. Enter your Lawrence username in the Username field. In the Password field enter you Lawrence password.
- You will get a Windows can’t verify the server’s Identity message. Click on the Connect button.
Note: you will not have full internet access until you complete the rest of the process below.
STEP 2: Update Antivirus
All Windows 8 computers come with Windows Defender, which is a free antivirus.
Note: If you have another antivirus installed you will need to update that Antivirus’ definitions or uninstall it and activate Windows Defender in Action Center.
- In Start – right click on the background and select All apps
- Scroll to the right and click on Windows Defender.
- Windows Defender will open. Select the Update tab and click on Update.
STEP 3: Update Your Operating System
All computers must have current operating system software in order to register on the LU Network. Follow these steps to ensure your operating system has the latest software updates. (Note: Although you will not have access to the majority of the Internet until your computer is registered, you WILL have access to operating system updates.)
- In Start – Move the Cursor to the top right corner of the screen and click on Settings.
- Click on Change PC settings.
- Select Windows Update.
- On the right side of the screen click on Check for updates now.
- Click on the purple text and select Install.
- The computer may reboot after updates are complete. Repeat steps 4 and 5 until a message comes up saying there are no more updates.
STEP 4: Network Registration
- From Desktop open an internet Browser such as Firefox or Chrome.
- A security page should appear (if it doesn't try going to a website such as cnn.com). If using Internet Explorer or Edge, tap Continue to this Website (Not Recommended). If using Firefox/Chrome, click ADD and Exception. Click Get certificate. Click Confirm Security exception.
- A Lawrence University Network Device Registration page will appear. After you have read the -Acceptable Use Policy click Agree to continue.
- Select the link "student personal device registration".
- Enter your Username and Password, Select appropriate device for the type of connection and click Download.
- A download window will appear. Click Run
- A Windows User Account Control prompt will appear. Click Yes.
Your computer will be scanned for required software by the Bradford agent. Once the scan is complete, either a success/failure page will appear. if the failure page appears, read the message carefully. It will tell you either your Operating System has more updates or your antivirus has more updates.Note: If your computer did NOT come with the Microsoft Office, use the link provided below to download Microsoft Office Suite.