Registration on the Lawrence University Network is necessary in order to access the Internet, printers and shared document folders across campus. Follow this guide sequentially to successfully register your personal computer.
STEP 1: Wireless Connection
There are several secure wireless local area networks (WLAN) on campus. Student devices connect to the LUwireless network.
- In Start – Move the Cursor to the top right corner of the screen and click on Settings
- Click on the Wireless Icon.
- Select LUwireless and click on the Connect button.
- Username and Password field will pop-up. Enter your Lawrence username in the Username field. In the Password field enter you Lawrence password.
- You will get a Windows can’t verify the server’s Identity message. Click on the Connect button.
Note: you will not have full internet access until you complete the rest of the process below.
STEP 2: Update Antivirus
All Windows 8 computers come with Windows Defender, which is a free antivirus.
Note: If you have another antivirus installed you will need to update that Antivirus’ definitions or uninstall it and activate Windows Defender in Action Center.
- In Start – right click on the background and select All apps
- Scroll to the right and click on Windows Defender.
- Windows Defender will open. Select the Update tab and click on Update.
STEP 3: Update Your Operating System
All computers must have current operating system software in order to register on the LU Network. Follow these steps to ensure your operating system has the latest software updates. (Note: Although you will not have access to the majority of the Internet until your computer is registered, you WILL have access to operating system updates.)
- In Start – Move the Cursor to the top right corner of the screen and click on Settings.
- Click on Change PC settings.
- Select Windows Update.
- On the right side of the screen click on Check for updates now.
- Click on the purple text and select Install.
- The computer may reboot after updates are complete. Repeat steps 4 and 5 until a message comes up saying there are no more updates.
STEP 4: Network Registration
- From Desktop, open an Internet Browser (such as Internet Explorer or Firefox).
- A security page should appear (if not try going to cnn.com to force the security page). If using Internet Explorer, click Continue to this Website (not recommended). If using Firefox, click Add an Exception. Click Get certificate. Click Confirm security exception.
- A Lawrence University Network introduction page will appear. After you have read the information on the page, click Continue.
- Select the first link, "Personal device registration for Lawrence University students".
- A Lawrence Terms and Agreement page will appear. You must read and agree to the terms by clicking I Agree in order to continue with your computer registration.
- Select wireless laptop for the type of connection. Enter your Username and Password* and click Continue.
- A download window will appear. Choose to save the file to your Desktop and click Save.
- Run the Saved Download.
- A Windows protected your PC prompt will appear. Click on More info.
- Another prompt will appear. Click on Run anyway.
Your computer will be scanned for required software by Bradford. Once the scan is complete, either a success page or a failure page will appear. If the failure page appears, click on the link to see how to resolve the failure. If the success page appears, you have successfully completed registration.
Note: If your computer is found to be interfering with the LU Network or spreading viruses, it will be disconnected from the network until the problem is resolved. Contact the Helpdesk for assistance.