Registration on the Lawrence University Network is necessary in order to access the Internet, printers and shared document folders across campus. Follow this guide sequentially to successfully register your personal computer. If you need assistance, please contact the Helpdesk.
STEP 1: Wireless Connection
Lawrence provides the LUwireless network in all residence halls and academic buildings, as well as many other places on campus. Other wireless access points are NOT permitted on the Lawrence network as they can interfere with the Lawrence wireless network.
- If Wireless isn't’t already on, turn on the built-in wireless adapter/AirPort by clicking the AirPort icon in the upper right corner of the screen and selecting Turn AirPort On.
- Select the LUwireless network from the same Airport menu.
- Authenticate using your Lawrence network username and password. Click OK.
- Verify the certificate and click Continue. Your wireless connection should now be complete.
Note: If you are not automatically connecting to the wireless network, turn off the Airport and then turn it back on.
STEP 2: UPDATE YOUR OPERATING SYSTEM
All computers must have current operating system software in order to register on the LU Network. Please follow these steps to ensure your operating system has the latest software updates. (Note: Although you will not have access to most of the Internet until your computer is registered, you WILL have access to operating system updates.)
- Click Apple – About this Mac.
- Click Software Update. Wait while Apple checks for updates for your computer.
- Run available updates.
STEP 3: UPDATE OR INSTALL ANTIVIRUS SOFTWARE
Technology Services strongly encourages anti-virus software on Apple computers. Window computers must have an up-to-date antivirus program installed in order to register on the LU Network. Download any updates available for your antivirus software. (Note: Although you will not have access to most of the Internet until your computer is registered, you WILL have access to antivirus updates.)
If you currently do not have antivirus software, or if your subscription has expired, LU suggests Sophos antivirus which is free to use. Instructions can be found by clicking here. Be sure to read each step carefully before continuing the installation process.
STEP 4: NETWORK REGISTRATION
- Open an Internet Browser (Safari is preferred).
- A security page will appear. Click Continue to this Website or Yes to proceed.
- A Lawrence University Network introduction page will appear. Read and click Continue.
- Select the first link - Personal device registration.
- A Lawrence Terms and Agreement page will appear. Read, and click I Agree.
- Select Wireless Laptop from the drop down menu. Enter your Username and Password and click Continue.
- A download window will appear. Choose to save the file to your Desktop and click Save.
- From your desktop, locate and run the Bradford Dissolvable Agent file.
- If a message appears, select Continue.
- Your computer will be scanned for required software by Bradford. Once the scan is complete, either a success page or a failure page will appear. If the failure page appears, click on the link to see how to resolve the failure. If the success page appears, you have successfully completed registration. Reboot your computer to complete the process.
Note: If your computer is found to be interfering with the LU Network or spreading viruses, it will be disconnected from the network until the problem is resolved. Contact the Helpdesk for assistance.