Technology Sustainability Policies
• Technology Services has the stated policy of purchasing EPEAT Silver or better certified equipment whenever possible. All monitors, desktop and laptop computers purchased by the University have been EPEAT Gold Certified since at least 2012. To learn more about EPEAT Certification see http://www.epeat.net/.
• All University printers default to double sided (duplex) printing to reduce paper usage and waste.
• All major computer labs and the library use print release systems to reduce paper waste. Print jobs must be released within 15 minutes at the printer or are automatically deleted. This system has greatly reduced paper waste.
• Power saving modes are enabled by default for all computer installations with mandatory, enforced settings in all computer labs.
• Lawrence University recycles all electronics using an R2 Certified recycler. Learn more about the R2 Certification process at http://www.sustainableelectronics.org/.
• Over the last 8 years Lawrence University has consolidated print devices to eliminate personal printers and to consolidate printers, fax machines and scanners into a single multifunction device. These changes have greatly reduced waste and electrical usage.
• The virtualization of the servers in the Lawrence University data centers has greatly reduced the number of physical servers. This change ensures we are using much less energy to power servers and maintain proper working temperatures. In addition Lawrence creates much less technology equipment waste that needs to be recycled.