STEP 1: Wireless Connection
- On the Desktop (home screen)
- Tap on the Wireless Icon on the bottom right hand of screen.
- Select LUfacstaffpersonal and then click Connect.
Note you will not have full internet access until you complete the rest of the process below.
STEP 2: Update or Install Security & Antivirus Software
All Windows 10 computers come with Windows Defender, which is a free antivirus.
Note: If you have another antivirus installed you will need to update that Antivirus definition or uninstall it and activate Windows Defender.
Note Lawrence does not provide antivirus software to students/faculty/or staff personal computers.
- Start menu.
- Search Windows Defender.
- Windows Defender will open. Select the Update tab and tap on Update.
Note even though you do not have internet access at this point, LUfacstaffpersonal allows network traffic for Virus security updates and Operating System updates.
STEP 3: Update Your Operating System
All computer must have current operating system software in order to register on the LU network. Follow the steps below to ensure your operating system has the latest software updates.
- Start Menu
- Search - Windows Update in search field
- Select - Check for updates in found search options
- Update & Security Window will open - Select CHECK FOR UPDATES (button) and install all available updates.
Note If the computer needs to restart to finish installing updates, you must restart. Then follow these steps continuously until you receive a message stating "No Updates are Available" then continue.
STEP 4: Network Registration
- From Desktop
- Open an internet Browser (Edge Browser)
- A security page will appear. If using Internet Explorer, tap Continue to this Website (not Recommended). If using Firefox/Chrome, tap ADD an Exception. Tap Get certificate. Tap Confirm Security exception.
- A Lawrence University Network introduction page will appear. After you have read the information on the page, tap Continue.
- Select the first link "Personal device registration for Lawrence University Faculty/Staff"
- A Lawrence Terms and Agreement page will appear. You must read and agree to the terms by tapping I Have Read and Understand in order to continue with your computer registration.
- Select wireless (or wired) laptop for the type of connection. Enter your Username and Password* and tap Continue.
- A download window will appear. Click Run.
- A Windows UserAccount Control prompt will appear. Tap "Yes".
Your computer will be scanned for required software by Bradford (Making many 'Chime' noises, turn down volume as needed). Once the scan is complete, either a success/failure page will appear. If the failure page appears, read the message carefully. It will tell you either your Operating system has more updates or your antivirus has more updates. If you receive an extremely extensive antivirus list that means that your Antivirus may not be found on Bradford.
**Redo the above steps until the Browser states: “System Error, Reboot and try again.” Once you restart the computer it will be connected to LUfacstaffpersonal**
Note If your computer is found to be interfering with the LU Network or spreading viruses, it will be disconnected from the network until the problem is resolved. Contact the Helpdesk for assistance.
Note If your computer did NOT come with Microsoft office use the link provided below to download Microsoft Office Suite.