Frequently Asked Questions


I received Federal Work-Study or Campus Employment as part of my financial aid, am I guaranteed a job on campus?

No. You must apply for a job on campus. Click here for a list of job opportunities.


How many hours a week can I work?

Although a student can work more than one job on campus simultaneously, he or she cannot work more than 20 hours a week during any periods of enrollment. If a student exceeds 20 hours in a week, the student will receive a warning. The second infraction will result in the student losing his or her privileges to work on campus for the remainder of the academic year.

The amount of your Student Employment Award (Federal Work-Study or Campus Employment), as shown as part of your financial aid, determines how much you can earn in the academic year. Use the following formula to determine the you many hours per week you should work to earn the full amount:

(Student Employment Award ÷ 30 weeks) ÷ Estimated Hourly Wage = Estimated Hours per Week

Example: ($2,175 ÷ 30 weeks) ÷ $7.25 per hour = Approx. 10 hours per week

During periods of non-enrollment (i.e., winter break or spring break) students can work up to 40 hours per week.


Does Federal-Work Study or Campus Employment get subtracted from my bill at the beginning of the term?

No. You are paid for the hours you work. Your earnings go directly to you or they can be applied to your Student Account based on the option you select on the Student Account Payroll Form.


When do I get paid?

Student employees are paid bi-weekly. 

Time sheets must be submitted through Voyager at the end of each pay period. Click here to learn how to enter your hours.  If your time sheet is not received on time or is completed incorrectly, payment will be delayed.


How do I get paid?

You can choose to have your Federal Work-Study or Campus Employment earnings be applied directly towards paying the balance on your Student Account, or you can have your earnings paid directly to you, or both. You can select your option by completing the Student Account Payroll Form.

Students with Federal Work-Study are not required to enroll in direct deposit; however, they are strongly encouraged to enroll in direct deposit. Click here for the Direct Deposit Form. All other students must enroll in direct deposit.


What's the difference between Federal Work-Study and Campus Employment?

Students with Federal Work-Study have a "demonstrated need" (determined by the FAFSA) for additional funding to pay for college. In addition to grants and loans, they're given the opportunity to work on campus. Approximately 75% of their earnings is paid by Lawrence and 25% comes from the federal government.

Students with Campus Employment also demonstrate a need for additional funding to help pay for college; however, not as much of a need as students with Federal Work-Study. Students with Campus Employment are paid 100% by Lawrence.

Students without Federal Work-Study or Campus Employment have the opportunity to work on campus, too. These students didn't receive Federal Work-Study or Campus Employment as part of their financial aid award, but they still have an opportunity to work on campus.


Can I work on campus over the summer?

The Summer Employment Program is administered by the Human Resource Office from mid-June through August. Employment may be full-time or part-time.  More information about Summer Employment is available in the spring.