INFORMATION FOR ADVISORS AND STUDENTS
- All students who intend to take Spanish must complete the online placement exam before registering. Students are encouraged to fulfill the language requirement (SPAN 200-level course) by the end of their freshman year.
- SPAN classes cannot be taken S/U.
- Students who cannot schedule Spanish during the regular academic year should consider the summer intensive option.
- Course prerequisites are a) the required placement score or b) the previous course level (for instance, SPAN 202 is the prerequisite for a SPAN 300-level classes).
- Prospective majors should start taking SPAN courses immediately and without gaps (see roadmap below).
- Off-campus study is not required but is strongly recommended. The fall term of junior year is a strategic choice for most students.
- *Off-campus credit transfers at specific course levels cannot be guaranteed in advance. If students place too low in the off-campus institution’s entrance exam, they may not be able to take the advanced courses that count for the major/minor at Lawrence.
- Students should seek advice from the SPAN department (Prof. Rosa Tapia, email@example.com) as soon as they consider enrolling in SPAN 202 or SPAN 300+, or if they are considering off-campus study in a Spanish-speaking site.
SEE ROADMAP FROM PLACEMENT TO SPANISH MAJOR
SPAN MAJOR/MINOR CHECKLISTS
FREQUENTLY USED ACADEMIC FORMS