Emotional Wellness Tips
Emotional wellness is more than simply “feeling” happy. It is about practicing self-care, stress reduction techniques, and fostering a relationship with yourself to experience both positive and negative feelings. It also consists of building inner strength to overcome challenges. Below you can find some resources that can help you maintain or even improve different areas of your emotional wellness.
- Do one thing at a time when tackling projects
- Allow yourself to take small breaks
- Check out the Mind Spa on campus located in the Counseling Center
- Meet with Erin to try integrating bio-feedback
- Connect with the meditation group on campus or try a yoga class
- Listen to some calming music
- Evaluate your priorities , there is a lot going on at Lawrence and a lot to be involved with but limiting yourself to a few main priorities can help manage stress.
- Check out this online resource to help with relaxation and stress reduction: http://allaboutdepression.com/relax/
Enjoying Life (Depression)
- Practice Smiling
- Write down things you are thankful for
- Remind yourself to stay positive and practice positive self talk such as “I can do this”
- Seek out support and allow others to help you
- Do at least one thing everyday that you enjoy such as taking a walk, drinking a cup of tea, drawing etc.
- Reach out to a friend to talk with or to hangout with
- Send a kind text to a friend
- Volunteer or help someone out with something
- Find one of the SAD lamps on campus to sit under for a few minutes
- Go outside for some fresh air
Some of the above information is adapted from UC Davis website and Amherst College Counseling & Health Resources